Paswesley

Cedar Slabs?

I tried cooking salmon on Kingsford wooden cooking boards today. The cooking boards, made of western cedar, were soaked in plain water for two hours before use. I cooked the salmon at 375 for 25 minutes. I used seasoned cherry chunks atop the coals for a nice smoky flavor. Honestly, it was the best salmon that I have ever eaten. My wife thought I had cooked it with butter, although I had not. It was a five pound piece of farm raised Chinook filet. Wow! My wife, who had strongly opposed the purchase initially, said that we don't need to go out anymore. She believes the food from the KK is better than the restaurant, and I agree with her. We will occasionally go out for romantic reasons, but never again for food that tastes better than home cooking. Mable has seen to that!   :D

@TRex:

I have no doubt that the wild caught is delicious. I have certainly eaten wild salmon many times. In this case, it was the rich fatness of the farm raised fish and its tenderness, combined with the magic of Mable and the cherry wood smoke that conspired to make our meal sublime. I am certainly eager to compare the taste of a wild caught Chinook. Unfortunately, I know of no location nearby where I can get fresh wild caught Chinook salmon. If anyone knows where I can get some, then let me know. I have access to wild Atlantic salmon, but they are not as pleasing to my taste as the Pacific varieties. While I can drive a few minutes and catch wild stripers and blue crabs, I don't have access to wild salmon. ;)

You may be out of range for fresh caught Pacific salmon. If you did manage to find some it would be expensive. Even here in Oregon the very best quality Copper River, BC chinook is only available a few weeks a year and is $22/lb. We're lucky to have local wild caught at the farmers markets for a lot less.

Your wife is right about the flavor and texture. Cedar plank salmon has a very buttery presentation. I favor Alder planks which work the same way.

When it comes to fresh caught Kings T Rex is living the dream. :D

oc

Hey Pastor, here is a pic of a piece of Wild Pacific Chinook that I did on a cedar plank..... We do this a lot out here along with many other varities of fish from our local waters. The season is now over and the boat has been put to bed.............. :( till next March.......... :):) I should mention that while I prefer Cedar, Alder is a very close second!

CedarplankSalmon.jpg

T Rex

ps no butter added but sure taste like it!

TRex, you ought to be ashamed. Here I am, sitting here watching my Baltimore Ravens stink up the Meadowlands, trying my best to ignore the growling in my stomach, and you have to post a scrumptious looking picture like that! I am being haunted around my waist by the ghosts of heavy meals past, so my wife has put me on a diet. While I have your attention, let me ask a question. About a month ago, you posted a picture of yourself holding up a very large fish. Was that a really big salmon, or a big lake trout. Steelhead? :wink:

TRex' date=' you ought to be ashamed. Here I am, sitting here watching my Baltimore Ravens stink up the Meadowlands, trying my best to ignore the growling in my stomach, and you have to post a scrumptious looking picture like that! I am being haunted around my waist by the ghosts of heavy meals past, so my wife has put me on a diet. While I have your attention, let me ask a question. About a month ago, you posted a picture of yourself holding up a very large fish. Was that a really big salmon, or a big lake trout. Steelhead? :wink:[/quote']

Glad you liked the pic.... ;) The picture in question, without looking at it, would be a Chinook Salmon. Took Mrs. T Rex and my 78 year old mother out on the annual birthday fishing trip, yup............... 31.8 lbs. as I recall, all of 10 minutes from home! I am blessed!!!

T Rex

I am reluctant to try reusing planks. The literature included with mine (Kingsford brand purchased at BJs) says they can be cleaned and reused. Since washing them with soap imparts unwanted flavors to the next cook, I can't really get them clean, and I am concerned about bacteria. Has anyone figured out how to clean the planks without tainting the flavor of the next cook?

Actually, wood has a very strong antibacterial activity on its own.

After years of demanding polyethylene cutting boards in all restaurants, a study was finally done and it was found that the only cutting boards that actually didn't harbor bacteria were wood!

It seems to be a dual effect from the toxcicity of lignin and of dessication - the cellulose is avid for water and dries the bacteria out to the point that they can't grow.

I'd simply (gently) scrub the surface clean with running water and a stainless steel scrubber, then let it air dry thoroughly.

If you're really concerned about sanitization, then swab the surface down liberally with some vodka. 40% ethanol is a very good bug killer.

Mike