joebyk

suckling piglet - anyone done one?

Hi All,

Goin' local here in New Hampshire w/ an animal grower. Thinking about doing a piglet roast. Having grown up in a family of 500 years of farming back to Europe, think it is good to see that meat actually comes from a living being. My dinner guest will appreciate if I can pull it off.

Didn't find any reference on the pork recipe link. Anyone ever done a piglet? About 20#.

Cook temp and internal time done temp? Any other suggestions? I would lean toward classic garlic, sage, rosemary, S/P w/ a little bit of hot kicked in but let me know.

Thanks in advance.

J

[email protected]

Re: suckling piglet - anyone done one?

Do you mean a 20# pig live weight or carcass. If it is a 20# live weight pig which is a suckling pig they are extremely bland because they have recently been primarily on mother's milk, no flavor imparted to the carcass, and hardly worth the effort whereas a 40# live pig dresses down to about 20-25# and they are really good. Make sure you buy the pig direct from the farmer as many times small pigs like these have been shot up with an array of antibiotics to get them to grow and they don't so they get sold to the butcher shop before their time which is about 275 live weight so expect to pay a premium for a good pig of about $60 plus processing. I have the large KK and could not get a 20# pig carcass onto the grill without removing legs to the knee joints and possible head which takes away from the presentation. Just a simple rub of Lawry's does a great job cooked over the indirect stone for several hours. Because the pig is very young it doesn't have much fat but the tissue is very moist and therefore tender and can be cooked moderately fast if you desire. Center of hams should reach 145-155 and pig is done but still slightly pink near the bones, serve at night under poor lighting and guests will enjoy it more. If the pig is cooked too early it can be placed in a large cooler lined with tin foil and it will stay warm and moist for a couple of hours.

Re: suckling piglet - anyone done one?

Thanks HP1

Typed an earlier respons and it disappeared so sorry if this is a repeat.

Good question re size. Will have to check w/ my local farmer re milk feeding. Great cooler idea if meat is done before the guests show up. Am thinking that maybe just buying a large roast from my farmer is easier, maybe less dramatic.

Happy KKooking. I have ascended the learning curve w/ my June arrived KK but still trying to master the slow cook method at 145+/- degrees - my temp gets up there too high even when I turn down the in/out valves.