ifly61ce

Gumbo for Cotton Bowl

Just started a Gumbo for the LSU game. Don't have a KK yet so this is all I can offer. Pot of Roux boiling. fetch?id=67982 Chicken, ready to go in to the oven at 450, we used to fry it before adding to the Roux but this is a better method. Also pictured in the bowls at smoked sausage, wish it was smoked on a KK :cry: and Tasso from Louisiana. and a cold brew from my keg. fetch?id=67983 I will update later. Mark

Re: Gumbo for Cotton Bowl

The Roux is very easy but takes time and constant stirring.

This is how my wife's Cajun family in Cecilia, Louisiana does it.

2 cups Flour and 2 cups vegetable oil

Heat on high until it starts to turn light brown then turn down to med high. As the mixture begins to darken turn down to med. Continue to stir until the Roux is dark brown (your arm should be tired from stirring at this point) but not as dark as you want the finished product as it will continue to cook for quite some time. At this point add one diced onion to the dark roux, careful as it will boil up. Remove from the heat then stir the onions in, then let it sit and cool. that's it!

Be careful not to burn the roux if you burn it you have to start over as the roux is ruined.

This is the easiest method: same mixture in a microwave safe bowl ( Large Bowl so it does not over flow) mixed thoroughly then microwave for 5 minutes, then stir and repeat. When you notice the roux is starting to turn a slight shade of brown, reduce the time to 2 minute increments. Keep stirring between cooks until you get the desired color then add onions and stir then let sit. I find I like the stove method is better and to me it seems safer as handling a scalding hot bowl out of the microwave scares the heck out of me.

Now for the Gumbo.

The bad news is the secret is using good smoked sausage and tasso from Cajun country. We've used other smoked sausage and it turned out ok, but not the best. I always haul a cooler full of meat back every time I visit LA.

The good news is you can get the good stuff but it is a bit pricey to have it shipped. There are a lot of places that ship so you can google around for prices, but one of the places I buy local from is: http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/ ... ecmeat.htm

I don't have a recipe that I follow but rather do as follows, just season to taste.

1 Chicken (Hen if you can find one) They can be cooked longer with out getting over done, roaster or fryer is ok but don't cook the fryer to long.

Cut into 1 portion sizes. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. You can either bake the chicken or do the stove top method. With the stove top method, you add about 1 tbsp of sugar to about 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Basically, let the sugar carmalize. Fill the pan with chicken but don't overcrowd. Allow the chicken to fry to a good shade of brown - the chicken does not need to cook through - you are only browning it at this stage.

Next fill a heavy stock pot with water. For a ten quart pot, add water to about 3 inches from the rim. Allow the water to come to a rapid bowl. Add your roux mixture to the water a little at a time until desolved. Continue until you use all roux. I usually use a wisk - nothing worst than lumps of roux in your gumbo.

Let the roux boil for about an hour, but watch so that it doesn't boil over - usually adjust the heat and you'll be fine.

Add the browned chicken and sausage,Tasso about 1/2 cup diced if you want it and have. cut the sausage about 3 links into bite size pieces.

Let boil for several hours - hen 3 hours, fryer about 1.5.

Skim the grease off the top. Don't fret, you'll have quite bit of grease coming off the sausage and chicken.

Taste and add salt and or pepper to taste

When the chicken if falling off the bone, serve gumbo over a scoop of rice and top with Gumbo File (sasafrass pronounced "fee lay") and green onion tops. Goes great with a baked yam as a side.

Marcelle Bienvenue, a local cook book author from St. Martinville, Louisiana has a great cook book that is much like my wife's family's cooking style. It's called Who's Your Moma, are You Cajun and Can You Make a Roux. Great Stuff.

Enjoy and let me know how this turns out. We live just outside of Chicago and would welcome you to dinner and give you lessons.

Re: Gumbo for Cotton Bowl

Marcelle Bienvenue' date=' a local cook book author from St. Martinville, Louisiana has a great cook book that is much like my wife's family's cooking style. It's called Who's Your Moma, are You Cajun and Can You Make a Roux. Great Stuff.[/quote']

After reading one of the reviews on Amazon I think I may need to buy this book :D :

Who's the yankee looking for "Cajun Haute Cuisine"???? Do you understand the cajun way of life? or even what a cajun is???? It may pain you to put evaporated milk and american "cheese" in baked macaroni, but I bet you will never have tasted anything better!

Cajun and BBQ have a lot in common, I love red beans and rice as a side to my BBQ.