Paswesley

Old School Easter Ham

I come from the old school when it comes to the main course on the two most important holidays on the Christian calendar. Turkey at Christmas and a great big, juicy ham for Easter. So, I had to put Mable to work. I have no pictures because I had more honey-dos to do today than you can shake a stick at. Nevertheless:

Mable's client was a 21.5 pound sugar cured ham, extra lean, with very little fat visible. Indirect heat was my method, using the great idea that somebody posted- to foil wrap the bottom grill to super size the indirect heat area. I steadied her at 305 and put the ham on with 46 degrees interior temp, with the drip pan in place, of course. My only seasoning was allspice sprinkled evenly but lightly over the entire joint. I placed it on the upper grill, on the short side.The meat was placed fat side down, with a Redi-Chek inserted, and Mable began to do her thing. At about two hours into the cook, with an internal temp of 85, I foiled the ham on the top and sides only, leaving the underside open. The foil remained until the inner temp was 144, at which point I removed it until the target temp of 150 was reached. I eagerly removed the ham from Mable's capacious maw and hustled it inside. I could barely wait during the rest period before I had a little taste. How can I put it? SUCCULENT, JUICY, FRAGRANT, DELECTABLE, MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH TENDER! And all I put on it was allspice.

I have to go to bed now, get up at 3:30 am and go to the 5:30 am sunrise service. I will be delivering the homily. I cannot help thinking about Mable's latest accomplishment now, and I look forward with great anticipation to our afternoon repast. Happy Easter forum family! Paswesley