Paswesley

Vegetable Garden, Anyone?

Hi, Guys. Dennis, I hope that I am not violating a forum rule by posting a picture of my garden. Some of these items will eventually wind up in Mable's capacious innards. I had an idea to share a picture of the garden that most of our sides and fixin's are coming out of this year. This is a humble little garden in the back yard behind the patio. I took the photo while standing in the Morning Room because the outdoor temp is 100 degrees. The garden is 20 x 18 feet, or 360 square feet. Packed into that modest space are: 1. Tomatoes- Beefsteak, patio type, and plum 2. Asian egg plant 3. Jumbo Virginia peanuts 4. Kentucky Wonder snap beans 5. Asian Long Beans 6. Calabaza 7. Butternut squash 8. Ampalaya (Bitter Melon) 9. Taro. We also have Thyme, Sage, Oregano and Basil are growing in pots along one side of the patio. The garden is about 95% organic, the one exception being a small amount of commercially produced 10-10-10 fertilizer that I used. The benefits, of being able to walk 30 feet out the morning room door and pick our own lovingly and responsibly grown veggies, are too numerous to list. Besides, it's fun! Will anyone else share a photo of their garden plot? fetch?id=74450

Re: Vegetable Garden, Anyone?

Nice garden. Glad to see others with the wisdom to watch things grow.

We do it a little different (sorry no pics).

We have a 30 foot (3x30) asparagus bed and two 4ft by 30ft raised beds. Each raised bed has 4 rows with semi automatic water units. (once a day I flip two levers for 3-5 minutes each)

Tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, zucchini, onions, beans, and okra.

Always glad to talk gardening.

Re: Vegetable Garden, Anyone?

Always good to hear from you, Cook_Shack. I have not forgotten how you talked me through my first cook on Mable. Your set-up sounds great, too. I wish I could put in something more permanent like yours. Unfortunately, I am growing the garden in the "conservation" section of my lot. So, anything I do has to be temporary and minimal impact. There is nothing better than to eat living food that was just picked or pulled moments before. :P