Loquitur

Smoked Egg Pate

I saw Steven Raichlen prepare a smoked egg pate on his Primal Grill TV show recently and it caught my attention because he commented that his crew couldn't get enough of it. I've seen quite a few of his shows and didn't remember hearing him make a comment like that before, plus he said you could boil the eggs ahead of time and it looked like it would travel well so I decided to bring it to a family gathering as an hors d'oeuvre. Here are the eggs with 3 4 lb boneless pork butts smoking at 275 with cherry wood: fetch?id=68226 After 30 minutes I took them off per the recipe. They did not develop nearly the color that Raichlen's eggs did on the TV show but I probably should have known to do something to develop the pellicle though there was nothing in the recipe about it. fetch?id=68227

Here is the finished product - about half the eggs for the gathering. I thought it was delicious but it's odd - kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing. I will be having some fantastic egg salad sandwiches this week! fetch?id=68228 I bought this crock pot for the party to help with transporting and serving the pulled pork and loved it!! It has a "keep warm" setting which held it perfectly. Also, the crock part can go in the oven, microwave and dishwasher. A great Amazon purchase for $30.00 and free shipping. I have it dedicated to BBQ. http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPVL6 ... 32149&sr=8

Re: Smoked Egg Pate

"I love eggs, from my head down to my legs!" I will eat them at any stage from raw to hard fried. I have a particular fondness for deviled eggs and similar dishes. How do you prepare the pate? " This looks delicious. I will check out the crockpot, too. I carried about six pounds of pulled pork to church today, to rave reviews. That crockpot would be better than heating it in the microwave, as we had to do. Thanks, Anton

Re: Smoked Egg Pate

Anton: Here is a link to the recipe http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_detai ... isodeID=35.

It's really very simple - eggs and mayo with the additional flavoring just being the smoke. The 30 min smoking time was perfect for a distinct smoke flavor that was not overpowering. I chopped the eggs in the food processor per the recipe but mixed in the mayo by hand without measuring it. I also did not add the optional lemon. Since you like deviled eggs, give it a try - I think you will love it!!

The crock pot pot was fantastic for traveling with the pork and keeping it warm. If you don't care about the color the Hamilton Beach model was preferred by some reviewers because they felt the lid fit tighter for traveling with items like soup. http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-6- ... 516&sr=1-4