casebeag

Smoked salmon

Ok...did my first smoked salmon today. One of the major reasons I invested in the KK was the fact that I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I'm able to catch plenty of salmon each year, and I love to have it smoked. Today I smoked my first batch, which happened to be silver salmon that I caught in August last year in Alaska. I used the brine recipe on the Naked Whiz' site. Brined for 24 hours, air dried in fridge for 24 hours, and then did a 10 hour smoke today. I used ECC, and got up at 3:30am to get the fire going. I didn't let it have enough oxygen to start because I was afraid of overshooting my goal of 180 degrees. Didn't get the fish on until 7:30, and dome temp was about 120 at that point. The huge cold bolus of the grills and the fish brought the temp down to about 85 and it took a while to get up to 180, which is where I kept it until 5:30pm. Used Alder in foil for the smoke. I easily could have kept the temp down in the 140-150 range if I wanted. Bottom line - best smoked salmon I've ever had. We had friends over tonight, one of which is a salmon biologist and connoisseur of smoked salmon, and he felt that it was the best he's had. Could have been the wine talking though??? I'm absolutely thrilled with the ability of the KK as a smoker. n68386 n68385

Re: Smoked salmon

Slu,

It was a 4 day process, but I'd do it every week if I could.

I've set aside a nice piece of it for you guys. Hope to see you soon to hand it over.

By the way, after we took off the fish, we cranked up the temp and cooked an apple crisp.

That is gone...there is none left to share.