Dugger

Chipotles

I had some success making Chipotles yesterday. The Jalapenos were prepared by taking the tops off and halving them but leaving the membrance and seeds. The KK was run with a single stick of ECC laid horzontally in the basket. It was lit at one end using a Mapp torch. Lumps of hickory were placed on top of the ECC along its length. The KK was run with a BBQ Guru at 150 degrees F (with the blower half closed). The stick of ECC lasted for about 8 hours. I then left the Chipotles in a low oven at about 130 degrees F for another 12 hours. This was in Singapore which is hot which may affect timings and temperatures.

Great success. I used some of the half dried but very smoky Chipotles (before the time in the oven) for making guacamole. Steep some sliced onion in salt to remove the bitter juice. Rinse and dry. Then pound the onion in a mortar and pestle with the soft Chipotle and add lime juice, ipe avocado, finely chopped tomato and fresh chopped coriander leaves. I took the seeds out of the Chipotles.

Simon

Re: Chipotles

Sounds good...where are you buying your peppers? The only place I've been able to find them is Tanglin Mall. A few years ago, I found a Mexican wholesaler here in Singapore that supplies all the restaurants, and they had some, as well as other hard to find Tex/Mex goods... I'll have to see if they are still around. They were in a warehouse in an industrial park, but did have a small storefront on site.

You don't have to smoke jalapenos to utter dryness in order for them to be good.

I BBQ my peppers for only 8 hrs or so (mesquite smoke,temps less than 100F if possible)

They're still crunchy after. Makes for good Pimento Cheese Dip!

dub(see my 'Barbecued Jalapenos' post)

I covered the main grill and upper grill with extra jalapenos from my garden last year and roasted them with a couple of chunks of apple wood at 200 deg for three hours. To prepare them I cut off the stems but left the skin, ribs and seeds intact and then gave them a rough chop in the food processor after they finished cooling. Not technically chipoteles by any means but a mighty tasty and spicy condiment nevertheless. Can't wait to do it again this year.