Eric Moe

Welcoming KK to Houston, TX

Hi all,

Hoping to find out there are in fact a few other Houstonians with KK's, but the reactions so far seem to indicate no one has seen anything like my new Gold Pebble 2.4 decked out with the Teak side tables and with the CyberQ pit monitor installed.

Had two weekends of great cooks, 15# of pork butt, 3# of pork belly then a few racks of ribs. Outstanding results have me looking forward to another trip to the butcher to start planning the next cook.

Only issue so far has been using newspaper to light the coconut charcoal can light a bit too much and make it tough to keep it 240 or lower... But I picked up a Looftlighter at Beings Hardware and think this is an issue soon to be solved...

Look forward to trying a few of your recipes and reading through a few of the forums to benefit from all the experience of this great community.

Best regards,

Eric Moellendick

Houston, TX

Re: Welcoming KK to Houston, TX

I purchased a kk last september. My autumn nebula is beautiful, also purchased the large teak tables that fit on each side, ( not the ones that are attached to the kk). I live in tomball and have been cooking wonderful meals on my kk! Also ordered a pallet of the coco charcoal late last year and it is amazing! Happy cooking!

Started up a cook early today and the Looftlighter is amazing, top lit two sticks of Dennis's CoCo charcoal and after about 45 mins Debbie was heat soaked at 240 deg ( new personal best, lol )

Today I have a few racks of beef short ribs going on for a 4-5 hr cook and am looking forward to pulling them off for supper. Too much fun...

Been cooking with my KK in Katy for about 4 months. Before that I used a Kamado for about 10 years. I've got a couple briskest ready to go on the smoker tomorrow. I've already gone through the 1/2 palet of coco charcoal I bought with the KK and I'm looking forward to ordering another palet.

Enjoy your KK!

Excellent,

Great minds think alike. Just took advantage to the break in the rain to cut the last few inches of the thinner end of the brisket that had been smoking at 220 since yesterday afternoon. Made for a fantastic brekfast for the wife and I!

I'm only starting the second box of CoCo Char from the six I had shipped with "Debbie", but as each weekend is an overnight cook, let me know when you want to order as I will definately split with you. Linda in the same thread is also up for dividing the next shipment. Will send you my cell in private message as I only check he board on the weekends.

Also, per your moniker, have you noticed a real shortage of packer pork butts or briskets at either HEB or Kroger... Not that I really mind stopping by B&W Meats in a pinch, but am surprised that large cuts are getting seemingly harder to find?