Amphoran

KK shelter

Living in Seattle, where it can rain all day every day throughout the winter, I figured that I needed to build a shelter (my bbq pit) that would keep as much of the outdoor experience, but keep the cooker and side bench dry and let me use it more often. I built it last spring, and can state that it met the test! Cooked at least 2x/week all winter, and hardly a drop of rain fell on the KK! our rain and wind all come from the Southwest, so I really only needed two walls. I brought electricity to it, so I can easily run the EZ-Q motor and the looftlighter, as well as provide lighting and tunes. It is lit with led rope lights running along the joists. Bright enough to see quite clearly late at night, but only 10W! Here are a couple of pictures: n68547 n68548 Cheers, Mike

Re: KK shelter

Nice work, i need something similar here in Melbourne. We have a wet winter with no snow, so i bbq year round.

Now if the wood in the KK pallet could be cut down and reassembled into a shelter it would be really impressive!

Do you have any issue with smoke or grease buildup on the roof or walls?

I spent several weeks in Melbourne whilst doing a stint at CSIRO. Lovely city, and to my mind quite similar to Seattle in many ways (right down to the trolleys, mate!)

After about 15 months use, not yet.The back above the fence, the entire right side and half the front are completely open, so ventilation is good.

I used 1 cm double wall greenhouse sheeting (polycarbonate), so at least the walls will be easy to clean off when needed.

The biggest problem is clearing all the grape leaves off the roof in the late fall.

By the way, love your screen name! I had a great visit to the distillery last year.

Cheers,

Mike

Glad you enjoyed Melbourne. CSIRO are a client of my employees, we sell them storage system, data storage that is!

Agree on the Malt, too easy to drink!

When my KK arrives I'll post up some pic's in situ and then decide to build a shelter or not. I had the outdoor area renovated this year with a spot for the KK in mind...

Cheers

Andrew

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.