Firemonkey

Online deal for Coconut briquettes

There is a deal on Groupon Goods today for two 9# bags of Coshell Coconut briquettes. $19 plus $5 flat rate shipping for 18# total.

The price is half-off what Amazon is selling it for. FWIW, the amazon reviews are all favorable and describe exactly what we would expect for coco charcoal. I ordered a couple just because, and will give it a try. I definitely wont be buying more at full price, its just too expensive for everyday use.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-2x9lbs- ... ?c=all&p=1

Re: Online deal for Coconut briquettes

Coconut doesn't really provide much in the way of "grill flavor" since it burns so clean. That makes it great for when you want to really control or showcase specific fruitwood smokes. I think I will give some a try on a small turkey first, with a little apple smoke. Bear in mind that I still have about 10 boxes of Dennis' extruded coconut in the garage, so I really only use it when I want to do something different.

Unless this stuff is different than any of Dennis' previous batches, coconut excels in long cooks because of its high density. It will go for a long time on just a small volume of fuel but as you increase the temperature, it seems like that advantage narrows, as it just burns hotter than lump, not necessarily longer.

You cant mistake the smell when it burns, though. Not smokey, just faint sweet smell, like candy cooking.

Re: Online deal for Coconut briquettes

I'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks for the suggestions - a small turkey or large roaster over apple wood is something I could handle. I've been intrigued by it but haven't ordered any from Dennis because I was of the impression it is good for long cooks and I just don't do them.