TopHat

Big Bad 32 Questions

Madmedik:  When I cook on the low handles of the sear grill, I put the food on as soon as the Tru Tel is between 425 and 450 deg. Of course its much hotter down there close to the flames. These are fast cooks - less than 5 minutes total - and barely use any charcoal at all. Despite the government recommendations my family likes the beef burgers rare so I'm careful about my sources. For turkey burgers or pork burgers, I pull them over to the indirect side of the splitter basket after 2 min per side, close down the grill and let them continue to cook to the desired IT. I think I get the same effect cooking at a lower temp closer to the flames as bringing the KK to raging temps and cooking a distance from the flames except I use less energy not having to heat up and cool down all that charcoal to get those high temps.    

My KK is a 23, not a 32. I hope I'm correct in assuming the basket splitter for the 32 works essentially the same way as the 23. The charcoal basket for the 23 holds a lot of charcoal so I can just imagine how HUGE the charcoal basket is for the 32, making the splitter basket even more important with a 32 for small quick cooks. I usually use the 1/4 splitter basket for grilling unless I need more surface area and then its the 1/2 horizontal splitter basket. Whichever I'm using, I pile the charcoal high to keep the same distance between the coals and the grate as a full basket piled high. It cuts charcoal use dramatically.  

Susan

It's been quite a while since there have been posts to this thread, but I'm going to jump in and add my 2¢.

I got my KK BB 32" aka The Beast about 2 months ago. I've been cooking on ceramic kamados for over 20 years. I started out as do many on a large Big Green Egg. I learned the art of kamado cooking on that cooker. It got Humptied during a move and I replaced it with a medium BGE as I was now single. Big Mistake! I learned the hard way that SIZE MATTERS! Then along came the Primo XL and I was in heaven. Now I own the KK BB 32.

The reason I got the 32 over the 23 is specifically because size matters. I regularly entertain 6-10 folks at a time and while the 23 could fill the bill, size matters. I've always said that when it comes to size, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and can't get it! Look, it's simple,economics. A 23 will feed, as Dennis says, about 6 people. My KK BB 32, The Beast, can easily accommodate double that number for significantly less than twice the price! So for me and the way I entertain, it only made sense to purchase the 32".

Let's look at operation of the KK BB 32. Talk about easy! The 32 defines easy operation. Temperature control is incredibly easy. Dennis is an engineering genius. Period. The air control manifold on The Beast is the most innovative way of controlling air flow through a kamado I've ever seen. The manifold consists of two dials. The left hand side will be familiar to any KK owner ... Its a dial type with index marks. Everyone knows how to adjust airflow using a dial. No big deal.

It's the right hand side of the manifold that is really brilliant and innovative. This part of the manifold is a dial that has 5 holes drilled in it. The holes range in size from about 1/8th of an inch on the small end to about 3/4 of an inch on the large end. These holes, especially the small ones, allow for fine tuning on temperature. By themselves in conjunction with the top vent, low-n-slow temperature control is a cinch.

I have two charcoal baskets; one exclusively for use with the Extruded CoCoNut Charcoal and the other for use with my regular lump charcoal, i.e. Fogo. I only use the extruded charcoal for low-n-slow cooks. I use Fogo for all cooks over 400°F. Swapping charcoal for the type of cook becomes simple.

I have used the basket splitter sparingly. In fact, I really don't see much use for it in my style of cooking. I always start each cook with a full basket. I only light a single spot for my low-n-slow cooks and I want the fire to be able access an entire basket over a 12-18 hour cook. For high temp runs, I will generally light 4 spots in the basket and get a hot, hot fire cranking in The Beast. Load up the grill with the steaks! If I'm doing steaks for SWMBO and myself, two spots lit is more than sufficient. I will say that i do wear my welders gauntlets when i sear steaks, chops, etc that are low in the belly of The Beast. It's dadgummed HOT down there! Charcoal usage on The Beast is minimal. This is the most efficient kamado I've ever used in terms of how much charcoal is burned for a cook.

The Beast never ceases to amaze me. Whether I'm searing steaks, cook pizzas high up in the dome, roasting turkeys, or smoking ribs or butts, The Beast is the most versatile kamado I've ever used. It adapts to me. It doesn't force me to adapt to it. I have yet to run into something that The Beast can't accomplish and do it effortlessly.

Again, with respect to size, I firmly believe its better to have it and not need it than to need it and can't get it. Size matters. If you entertain or cook for no more than 6 people, the 23" will most certainly be a great cooker for your needs. However, if you cook for or entertain for more than 8 people, you should really consider the KK BB 32". It's the single most amazing cooker I've ever used.

• Like 1