Greg_R

Where do the drippings go?

I've been researching a KK purchase and have a question for the forum.

Where does the grease / drippings go when you grill and BBQ? I would think that there might be flare-ups when direct grilling (coals right under the meat)? Can someone comment on this? Thanks!

Well, I am currently waiting on my KK. But with my previous ceramic grill, when I did not use a heat deflector they just burned off. Never had flare up issues (except when I intentionally got the flames up high for searing steaks) due to being able to control air flow in these cookers. Flare up generally do not happen on a sealed charcoal grill unless there are large amounts of (uncontrolled) air flow. Also, when doing low and slow, most folks here use a heat deflector so the drippings would fall there. You could also place a pan on heat deflector or on lower grill. Many options to choose from. But for sure, flame ups will not be an issue cooking at lower temps with or without deflector (that has been my experience).

-=Jasen=-

I have an inferior ceramic grill at present, but the same concept. I just cooked one of those monster 22 lb chuck rolls direct. I always cooked direct on the low -n- slows because I like how the bark does better that way. Never have any flare problems...and you gotta believe there were literally pounds of grease that melted away from a 22 lb hunk of beef. :D