Saison

First run with the Auberins controller

I decided to take my DIY controller to the other house for the Primo, and picked up an Auberins model for the KK.

Grabbed a 12 lb sirloin tip roast for the first run today. Made an injection of schwarzbier, PC chipotle sauce, and cumin. Was in a bit of a rush, so I used montreal steak spice for the rub (ground into powder first). Started with a good blast of hickory, then switched to apple for smoke. Smoking at about 240f.

2gy59up.jpg10hn42b.jpg

6 hours, and I'm up to 142, not sure where to stop...should I foil and head for 190, or just do that without foiling......it's pretty steamy in there with no drip tray full of water.

dzfiur.jpge00kti.jpg

Re: First run with the Auberins controller

How did it turn out? Sorry I did not see your post yesterday. I think that with that particular cut, you would want to cook it to the same temp you would finish a steak, 120 to 140, depending on your preference for doneness.

When I first got my KK, I thought a low and slow to 190 was good for any big piece of meat. That is not correct. For any big roast that can be cut in to steaks, you want to cook it to steak finish temp. And of course we found that a round roast will be tough as a shoe cooked at a "normal" cooking temp even if you do finish it at steak finish temp. Who was it that figured out to cook a round roast AT the finish temp all the way UNTIL the finish temp? Kind of a KK sous vide concept.

It really hit a plateau @ 162, like from 7:30 until 11:30. I wrapped in tinfoil and brought the KK up to 350 for an hour, with no change in temp so I shut it down, and let it rest overnight in the fridge. It is pretty dense feeling, like I could use my apple corer to make three finger holes and have a meat bowling ball. Cut into it, and it's surprisingly tender, even being as well done as it is. Slightly dry, but not too bad. I won't be eating all of it, but it will make good sandwiches for a few days.

eiwmc9.jpg2r45qw7.jpg

The piece of meat they use in the linked article is chuck. Chuck can be cooked low and slow to 190 and come out awesome! Search the chuck roll posts here and at the Weber smoky mountain forum in particular:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroll.html

Cook sirloin to 190 and you will regret it.

Brisket, pork shoulder and chuck are all tough cuts that benefit from a low and slow to break down the connective tissue. The more tender the cut, the less you want to use a low and slow. That's not to say you can't SMOKE a tender cut. They make an awesome smoked tenderloin at our local grocery store. My guess is they do this at something well under 200, but I am not an experienced smoker so I can't say with any authority.

The round roast was a sous vide cook in its original form. I wanted to see if the KK could get the same results. It can if one is willing to work at it, learn, and work at it some more. It is a hands on cook all about temp control.

This cook is for those wanting to master super low and slow on the KK. In the learning curve it is not for the set it and forget it cooks.

I named this: "The Limbo Eye" for how low can you go.

Discussions evolve Cook_Shack. I am appreciative of the direction that it took, because I have been disappointed in my previous efforts to cook the cuts that you mentioned. This discussion string gives me renewed hope that I can cook those cuts.

@Cook_Shack:

I am going to cook a sirloin roast this weekend, similar to the one that Saison cooked. Here is my question. Since this cut is ball shaped, with a radius of about 4 - 5 inches, won't the outer sections of the roast be tougher than the center? You really insist that the cut toughens quickly after 145 degrees. Is this why you want the internal temp to go no higher than 145? It seems like a no-brained kind of question, but usually the dumb question that you are afraid to ask is the issue that winds up biting you in your shady parts.

@Cook_Shack:

I am going to cook a sirloin roast this weekend, similar to the one that Saison cooked. Here is my question. Since this cut is ball shaped, with a radius of about 4 - 5 inches, won't the outer sections of the roast be tougher than the center? You really insist that the cut toughens quickly after 145 degrees. Is this why you want the internal temp to go no higher than 145? It seems like a no-brained kind of question, but usually the dumb question that you are afraid to ask is the issue that winds up biting you in your shady parts.

I think the "eye round" starts going tough fast after 145. (Sirloin roast is also a tough cut).

My cook was to (1) not let the KK go over the desired meat temp and (2)cook until meat reach the desired temp.

For this cook the meat was the same from edge to edge. (check pic's).

You might consider cutting sirloin into two roast. At this super low heat shrinkage is minor and heat penetration will be better.

enzymes break down at 80-120F

denature at 135F

connective tissue at 160F

Most KK tender cooks are based on 160F and then foiling (steaming to 190-200F). I don't foil.

This super low is a different animal. It never gets anywhere 160F.

Like super steak. 125-135F internal - cooled - seared at very high temp 1 minute (both sides) and served.

Why are steaks not cooked to higher temps?

I can tell you for a fact that on a standard low/slow cook temp (230-240) over the course of 14 hours, 4 of which the meat was at 160f, tough is not how I would describe this meat. It is surprisingly tender, even when cut 1/2" thick. It may have something to do with the sheer mass of the meat (12lbs). The only downside I have is the meat is slightly dry. And a very slightly slight at that, lol.

Saison,

Recently ordered my KK. Researching controllers. Read your posts. Wondered if you like the Auberins for low and slow cooks or when you use it.Could not find any pics of the adapter you are using - apparently the dcompany does not provide one for the KK.

waldo

Controller works great. I've got pics on here somewhere of what I did...I'll look.

I don't know what ever happened to that thread, but it's pretty simple. Just make another back plate (or drill and tap it for a ss nipple) and use that as the hose adapter.