Turtle

Sleep like a baby with a KK

I searched the web for stuff on the Chuck Roll and ran accross a real nice, detailed explanation of one man's CR cook. http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/new/recipes/chuckroll.html

All the pics were neat and all but I just died when he said his wireless tempature monitor started blairing at 2:30 AM and he got up to put more fuel in the Pit. And then the monitor went off at 7:30 AM so he went out to put more fuel in the Pit.. and then..

Turning the phone off is a great rule, but if you don't have a KK.. :shock:

I'm going to do one for X-Mas... First KK overnighter

Maverick sent me a new ET-73 (hope this one works). I'll get a~24#er which will go in the cooker mid afternoon the day before.

The best I've done on the KK is ~5HR stretch where I've not had to do any damper adjustments. But I generally run a tighter range (200*F-240*F). As the chuck roll is a very forgiving piece of meat I'll set a wide range for the ET-73. Say 200*F~260*F.

I'll also use the minion method with a slight modification. Instead of few pieces of bigger lump, many bits of smaller lump to keep the coals closer together so they light and spread more predictably/consistently.

Any additional advice from the overnight veterans here?

Re: I'm going to do one for X-Mas... First KK overnighter

Maverick sent me a new ET-73 (hope this one works). I'll get a~24#er which will go in the cooker mid afternoon the day before.

The best I've done on the KK is ~5HR stretch where I've not had to do any damper adjustments. But I generally run a tighter range (200*F-240*F). As the chuck roll is a very forgiving piece of meat I'll set a wide range for the ET-73. Say 200*F~260*F.

I'll also use the minion method with a slight modification. Instead of few pieces of bigger lump, many bits of smaller lump to keep the coals closer together so they light and spread more predictably/consistently.

Before I moved I had 3 bins for lump. Large, medium and small bins. After a cook I usually loaded the left overs into the small bin (picked through first). So on a low-n-slow I used only from the small bin. I haven't got that setup going here yet, but the smalls always worked great on the low-n-slow.

meat, rubs, smoke wood, sauces... is important BUT

When the rubber hits the road, good barbecue is all about consistent/predictable heat+smoke (coal) management. That's why I own a KK.

Before I moved I had 3 bins for lump. Large, medium and small bins. After a cook I usually loaded the left overs into the small bin (picked through first). So on a low-n-slow I used only from the small bin. I haven't got that setup going here yet, but the smalls always worked great on the low-n-slow.