paul1927

Beef Chuck Flanken Style Ribs from Winn Dixie (Miami)

Ok here is the King of All Ribs as posted by Dennis:

AUbeefRib.jpg

Here is what I was able to get thanks to the above pic:

BeefChuckFlankenStyleRib.jpg

Hopefully, I will have some cooking pics later. I'm thinking about 8 hours at 200 degrees. BTW, according to my research the ribs I was sold aren't Flanken style, but rather English style . . . my butcher was sure it was Flanken style and he should know. Oh, he gave it to me at the discounted price of $3.19 a pound (it is usually $3.99 a pound).

This is the goal although I don't believe I can get the wonderful color that Dennis achieved:

BeefRibs190.jpg

Of course, all my other attempts at beef ribs I was just using the bones without the meat. I had NO idea they came any other way. Thankfully, the same nonsense isn't played with pork ribs.

Yikes!!! Not even an hour has gone by and the ribs looked cooked (the bones are protruding). :( The heat did spike to 250 degrees. There is a lot of fat on those ribs (unfortunately NOT marbled) although the picture doesn't show it.

Also, I can see smoke coming out of the sides even though the double seal looks to be in great shape. Maybe there is som other adjustment?

After 8 hours . . . :)

Uncut.jpg

The purple thing next to the ribs is a picture of a sliced down the middle Purple Heart Sweet Potato----it was excellent in the Q, but in the regular gas grill was lacking big time.

Cut1.jpg

Turned out excellent tasting and looking even though I had a lot of trouble with the temperature. Too hot, too cold----back and forth.

Yes, at $3.99 a pound it doesn't make financial sense for me. I can get a whole boneless sirloin for $2.99 a pound. But, some people don't want pork ribs so this is a nice alternative if they're looking for ribs.

The eight hours of cooking time seemed a little extreme to me, but that is what I kept reading on the internet and it worked. :D

The normal all bone NO meat ribs were on sale for $1.69 a pound, but it just doesn't make any sense unless there is something wonderful you can do with the bones. So far my luck with bones has only been with chicken bones, but for one person it is too much work no matter how good the broth.