gerard

Debut of the Stoker

Got to use my Father's Day present overnight to cook a butt and a brisket for my dad.

It took a while to get the hang of it. Documentation leaves something to be desired but that's all. There's no description of how to mount the fan and of course, I ended up mounting it upside down. That's a real no-no and my temps were rapidly climbing out of control. Fortunately TNW's site saved the day or we would have had Big Macs for lunch. I also kept disassociating the grill probe from the temp control while playing with all the buttons. That's another good way to burn up a meal. After a couple of hours of screwing around, I figured out what I was doing, and became confident it was working as advertised.

I'll need someone to explain how to access and use the setback function which was mentioned once in the manual but never explained. TNW, feel free to spill your guts if you know.

Butt was great. Brisket was mediocre but had been buried in a freezer for 4 years. Bacon wrapped water melon rind was great. ABT's on the half shell, prepared with honey nut cream cheese, and cooked indirect were good. Molten gouda, an old favorite with my kids, was happily rediscovered.

All in all, a good weekend with family and my new toy. But if anyone else gets a Stoker, I would advise not cooking so many things on the maiden run.