ChefJeff

Deelishuhs "semi-frozen" Creme Brulee recipe!

Greeting all,

Last week we entertained friends, and I made one of the recipes in my archive that I hadn't made in probably a decade. Debbie and Michael went nutsy cuckoo over the dessert, and I thought I would pass along the recipe.

Cheers

Jeff

Crema Catalana

8 servings (hah!---more like 4 servings)

1 cup sugar (7 oz.)

6 egg yolks, room temperature (4.05 oz.)

2 cups whipping cream (17 oz.)

1 teaspoon vanilla (5g.)

1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel (1g.)

Small pinch of salt

6 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Combine 1 cup sugar with yolks in large bowl of electric mixer and beat at high speed until mixture forms slowly dissolving ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes (I use the whisk attachment versus a standard beating blade). By hand, stir in the cream, gently using the removed whisk attachment as the stirrer, the vanilla, lemon peel and salt (do not beat). Pour mixture into 9x1 1/2 inch round or square pan. Cover with foil. Set into larger pan. Add enough boiling water to larger pan to come halfway up side of custard. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from water bath and cool. Freeze until firm.

Combine 6 tablespoons sugar with water in heavy small skillet. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, swirling pan occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and continue cooking until syrup is caramel colored. Immediately pour thin layer of caramel onto greased marble slab or sheet of waxed paper (I use parchment paper). Let stand until cool and hardened. Crack caramel into small pieces.

Soften frozen custard in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Divide among individual dishes. Sprinkle with caramel.