Sanny

Iowa and Midwest US flooding - safe and sound?

All good in my neighborhood,:smt023 no rivers in my county (only creeks and they don't threaten much) One family evacuation in the entire county! - thanks for your concern.

It's a good time to appreciate high ground, something I take for granted most of the time...

Glad to hear you're safe. :)

As for high ground, it's all relative, I suppose. I mean, I'm out near the east coast, and about 80 feet above sea level. So, if there's much global warming, I could be beach front in NJ! Or gone completely, if the Delaware River overflows or expands about 7 miles eastward...

Ugh. :?

(Hey, Secret Agent! June 20 is opening day of Get Smart movie! :D)

Thanks Sanny for checking

We're okay, but we did have a tornado touch the opposite side of town last night around 10:30. Town sirens going off, police cars running around with sirens blaring, things were a little exciting. I'm in a small 3 gas station town so yea it was a bit close for comfort.

The island in the Mississippi I work on "Rock Island Arsenal" is partially flooded. Sand bagging and evacuation of inhibited areas going on right now. Downtown Davenport is flooded; have already built one temporary levee, and working on another. I-80 between us and Des Moines is totally shut down under water. Causing major problems and a 100 mile extra detour. Just heard Des Moines has told everyone to be out of town by 6:00 tonight.

But again, where I live is fine, just saturated real good. Thank goodness I'm up high on a bluff overlooking the river. Homes along the Mississippi are getting water, but that happens from time to time. They're pretty well prepared for it and know what to do.

Thanks again for your concern.

John

I forgot to mention

You might also see on TV. The convention center just across the river in Moline, IL "I-Wireless Center" used to be known as "The Mark".

KanYe West held a concert there last night "Glow in the Dark Tour". When it let out, the parking lots were flooded waist high!!! Concert attendees had no warning. Caused all kinds of problems, cars wouldn't start, ones that did could not see where to maneuver, etc.

And Golf course fairways are like lakes, but the ducks seem to like it.

Re: I forgot to mention

Concert attendees had no warning. Caused all kinds of problems' date=' cars wouldn't start, ones that did could not see where to maneuver, etc. [/quote']

I guess that could cut either way, huh? I mean, telling concert goers in the middle of the concert that the parking lot is flooding, and water rising, could cause a mess. But, some might have gotten cars out in time.

Letting them find out late at night, after a concert, might stop a panic, but many of them won't make it out, and cars will be ruined. And LOTS of folks will be very ticked. "If you'd told me, I'd have left."

Huh... I don't see a win/win there.

I guess at least promoter won't be told to give refund due to canc. concert. So, there's ONE winner. :roll: