Krusty K

Blocked actions from thebbqguru.com by Norton

Norton keeps blocking these "browser exploits". I went on the site to check the price of gurus and now am getting this warning even though I am not on the site.

Not sure if or how big a problem it is but Norton sure doesn't like it.

"a browser exploit is a short piece of code that exploits a software bug in a web browser such that the code makes the browser do something unexpected, including crash, read or write local files, propagate a virus or install spyware. Malicious code may exploit HTML, JavaScript, Images, ActiveX, Java and other Web technologies. HTML alone is harmless (can only crash browser in some cases on vulnerable web browsers), however, in conjunction with malicious ActiveX or Java code, it can potentially freeze or crash a browser, or even crash the computer running that browser."

The title of the topic was everything

And I guess I had scrolled down too far and wasn't paying attention. Even though after my last post I was horribly paranoid about misplacing it. Then it happens, a post even more poorly placed. than yesterday. SNIKEY! I saw everything in the title and thought perhaps others wouldn't want maleware. I'm sorry.

This humble pie recipe not withstanding my rationale for posting at all was that KK's seem to be big guru fans (at least the non-Luddites among them) and often refer to other sites like the Naked Whiz site. KK forum readers are likely to see posts that mention the guru and they could conceivably surf over for a look. If they have to go the guru site find out there is something weird going on there, well then its too late.

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

No apology needed, but if you want to find out exactly whats going on with the code on the Guru site, the guru forum will probably be a much more responsive audience.

That said, I really dont think you are being bombarded with malware by visiting the guru site. Programs like norton are looking for certain code characteristics without regard to intent or use of the code. I seldom visit the guru site, but when I did, it appeared to be cobbled together by the guru folks themselves, as opposed to a professional development company. As such, I expect that they may have copied and pasted some legitimate controls, which may also be used my bad guys on occasion, and hence the warnings.

But again, only the guru folks can update or explain their site :o