ThreeDJ16

Carnitas!

Been working on this recipe for a while to get the flavor the wife and I desire on carnitas. The technique is as important, if not more important as the season. Same goes with the way we like our fajitas. They both require sear time to get the flavor we like. Best part is how fast the carnitas can be cooked using a pressure cooker for part of the cook.

2 lbs pork butt (or you can be lazy and buy pork fingers/country ribs as I do)

12 dried chiles (variety of your favorites depending on the heat level you like) - you can sub in some fresh too

2 TB ground cumin

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

2 cups broth

2 onions (1 chopped, 1 sliced)

1 bell pepper (sliced)

Badia Fajita Season ( http://www.badia-spices.com/cooking/coo ... .cfm?id=73 ) Excellent on seared on skirt steak for fajitas too.

Cut the pork butt into 1" strips or use the country ribs/pork fingers (whatever your grocery calls them). Season liberally with the fajita season. Use your sear grill and get the flames roaring. Sear the pork for around 60 secs per side, immediately remove and set aside to cool.

Rehydrate the dried chiles for 30-45 minutes in warm water. It is easier to tap out most of the seeds while dry before placing in the water. After rehydrating, I prefer to scrape the meat from the chile skins, but you can just chop them.

Cut the pork strips into 1" cubes and place in pressure cooker. Add remaining ingredients except the sliced onion and bell pepper. Pressure cook for 10 minutes and use natural release on cooker.

In a oil sprayed Pyrex dish place the tender pork cubes (smash slightly with a fork) and sliced onions/bell peppers. I usually spoon some of the liquid/chiles back over the meat, but not a lot. Place in broiler for around 10 minutes till meat edges start to crisp slightly and onion/bell peppers are desired tenderness. This process could also be done on the KK, but the oven broiler is quicker at this stage. The meat already has grill flavor from the searing.

Serve over tortillas with all the trimmings. Charro beans are a must with them!

FYI, the season can/should be adjusted to personal taste. The process is what makes them good.

-=Jasen=-