Papa

Clamp

I bought one after seeing it at a boat show. I don't need to use it very often, but it is handy when I need it.

I've done the Pacific Cup race from San Francisco to Hawaii a few times. One required piece of safety equipment is a banding tool like this http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/bandi ... ANDC00169/

and a roll of stainless strapping and various clamps.

Think of it as a ClampTite on really, really good steroids. After my experience in the 1998 race, I wouldn't cross an ocean without one. 10-days of 24x7 racing took its toll and screws, welds and bolts were failing (we had already blown the alternator and were running radios/navigation intermittently on two small solar-panels).

We were able to strap the various pieces holding the boom to the mast back together and continue the race ultimately placing 3rd in division.

Without the strapping tool we would probably have continued the race but it might have been without a mainsail and we certainly would not have placed. We basically edged out the 4th-place boat by patching our boat back together faster than they patched theirs.

Every race has involved some amount of "MacGyvering" - some more than others.

Recent XKCD titled "Macgyver Gets Lazy":

Pq1B5oQr.jpg