leejp

My Independence Day Barbecue...

It was actually the 1st of July (Sat) since the 4th fell on a Tue and many folks have to work Mon and Wed.

I did all 3 big categories (Pulled Pork, Ribs and Brisket) and burgers+dogs for the kids.

I did the butt the day before (pics here: http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302). Put a ~6lb Brisket flat in at 7:45AM on the lower grill (pizza stone covered in foil for the heat deflector). First time fat side down for me per Porkchop's recommendations. At ~10AM I added the top grill and put 6 racks of babybacks on it. I did think a bit about the swine dripping on meat but the setup was easier this way so I went with it.

I kept the cooker between 220~240 the whole time. Probably a bit higher than I should have but I had a hard stop at 4PM as the guests were arriving then. I pulled all the meat off the grill and put them in a cooler right at 4PM withe the Brisket at 191. I also dropped the pulled pork into boiling water at that time (foodsaver bags). At ~4:30PM We sliced the Brisket and put the ribs back on the grill (hotter) for the finishing sauce. It was a flurry of activity between 4:30 and 5:00PM.

When the food was served, the guests decended like locusts and started the feeding frenzy. Everyone really loved the Q. Telling comment "...whatever you paid for that thing... it's worth every penny..."

That said... this is Yankee territory where folks don't really know good Q. My observations...

First time I did pulled pork for a large group the day before. It was good, but definately a LOT better freshly pulled.

6HRs might have been a bit too long for the ribs. Had I kept it at 220 all along they might have been better. They were still very good though and the bone twisted off easily enough.

The Brisket was perfect!

In all... I was very pleased with the results. Feeding 30 folks ain't easy!