Winter Cooking

I would like to know exactly what you mean when you say until the coals are out. Most other brand cookers although stated otherwise work best with a lot of lump in there. Does that mean with this you would have to completely burn up all the lump until it was completely gone before shutting down in cold weather so as not to damage it or just until they are extinguished after the air source is stopped?

Also do you the non tile finish and are you using a guru?

Thanks

Re: Winter Cooking

I've been using my Komodo all winter in temperatures as low as -20C. The Komodo is incredible' date=' keeping even heat no matter what the outside temerature. After cooking, I just damper down, wait until the coals are out, and then raise the lid until the inside temperatue cools to ensure no frosting inside.[/quote']

I have been cooking with ceramic cookers and in the cold Northeaset for a few years. When I am done cooking I simply close the draft dampers on top and bottom. That's it. No need to open the top after you close it down until you open it for the next cook. I am one of the people who is outside grilling and/or smoking food in snow, rain, below zero, or in summer heat waves. I have never had my grill top and bottom freeze together from cold. But if it ever does all that is needed is to slide open the damper on top and drop in a few sheets of newpaper lit. The heat from that will unstick the top and bottom sections. I try to keep at least 1/2 load of wood charcoal in my cooker whenever I am cooking. Filled up with charcoal and using BBQ Guru for all my low and slow cooks. Have fun in the cold. John

I believe that if you cook in a Kamado cooker, you need to vent any condensation when cooking in cold weather. Otherwise the moisture forms on the inside of the top of the dome, freezes and damages the spider that holds the screw thread for the top. I don't know if this is necessary on a KK, but it sure sounds like it is on a Kamado, according to Harry D who lives somewhere near the north pole, it seems....

Re: ????

I would like to know exactly what you mean when you say until the coals are out. Most other brand cookers although stated otherwise work best with a lot of lump in there. Does that mean with this you would have to completely burn up all the lump until it was completely gone before shutting down in cold weather so as not to damage it or just until they are extinguished after the air source is stopped?

Also do you the non tile finish and are you using a guru?

Thanks

I have found that with the Komodo one gets alot of heat from a modest amount of lump charcoal. When the dampers are all closed, the coals will extinguish themselves in about an hour. At that point one can raise the lid to let any condensation disperse. As other people have written, this step msy not be necessary, but it is a precaution against possible frost damage.

Norman