jdbower

New house

Some of you may know that I've been trying to build a house in NJ. For three years now. Well, since the ordeal started I began working from home and my wife has changed careers to a location about an hour away - we were no longer tied to our location. So when the little lady decided a change of venue was in order she was wide open. With opportunities coming in from around the country she finally decided on one in Cambridge, MA. After about two months of searching and a false start on a short sale (when the sale price is less than what's owed on the house - a VERY long process that's not appropriate unless you've got patience) we finally found a place I hope we can stay in for quite some time. Three years in a 115 year old hovel waiting to build a new house means that this place is a dream - I've got a dishwasher and central air again!

The down side is that the guys up here take their sports WAY too seriously and seem to have an inferiority complex about New York, but the neighborhood is quiet and since I work from home traffic isn't a big issue for me.

housefrontmediumdr7.th.jpg

I also finally have a permanent location for a KK! This screened-in patio seems like a great location for any-weather cooking, but I wonder what the smoke will do to the paint...

sunroommediumre5.th.jpg

Congratulations JD!

I would advise the KK not go inside that enclosure. I have mine located just outside a similar enclosure, and I can tell you that lingering 'que smoke is NOT AT ALL as pleasant the next day, or even just a few hours afterwards. Especially in the spring and fall when the cool evening air settles in and seems to make the smoke heavier, so it lingers longer. Put the KK outside so you can sit out there and enjoy the evening!

My sunroom has removable windows, so when the wind is going to be filling the room with smoke, I try to make sure the nearby windows are closed because once the smoke is in there, it likes to linger. I dont think you will have an issue with the smoke discoloring the paint, any more than you will with just normal dirt you stir up with the lawn mower getting things out there dusty. Your bigger problem will be any kind of cushioned furniture you put out there absorbing the smoke if you try to grill in there.

I kind of figured in the patio would be a bad idea. It's screened in with no glass so ventilation isn't an issue, but it's still probably a bit too risky and the stale smoke smell would be an issue (although I had toyed with a flexible exhaust system or even just a modified range hood). I'm sure I can find space nearby. Worst case it can live in the driveway for a while until I figure out the landscaping enough to decide where I want the outdoor patio.

Shaws, the local supermarket, carries Nature's Mesquite, smallish bags compared to the Cowboy I found at Lowes but I'm happy. Of course, I'm mostly happy because I didn't bother to check the price :)

There's a town at the end of the Cambridge subway system called Alewife, perhaps named after DJ's spouse?