jwillads

Smoke Flavor

I have done a number of low and slows (butts and ribs) and higher temp grills (steak, chicken, lamb, etc). On the low and slow cooks I usually use the Kamado extruded coconut with wood CHIPS spread over the coals or wrapped in foil. I also do the same when I grill steaks, etc but use Cowboy Lump from Lowes. Compared to my old electric smoker, I do not taste as much wood/smoke flavor in the KK. It could be as simple as using wood CHUNKs vs chips. What and how much is everybody using out there for low and slows? Same question for higher temp cooks.

Thanks

Absolutely, chunks are the way to go. They will smolder and produce much more smoke than the chips which are just burning away too fast.

How much depends on what you are cooking. For steaks, I might toss in a smallish chunk a couple minutes before i put the meat on the grill. For longer cooks like butts or ribs, i will mix a few chunks throughout the lump basket so it provides smoke throughout the cook.