jdbower

Persistent Poultry Problems

Perhaps Prevalent? Possibly Preventable? Pleasurably Predictably Paltry.

For those who read out loud you may want to squeegie your monitors. :)

Anyone have a solution for "KK Legs" when it comes to cooking poultry? My usual practice is to slice off a leg and present it to the love of my life, then I turn away from the KK and give it to my wife. :shock: The problem with the KK is when I glance at the leg the bone falls out. Needless to say, this level of succulence is a fair trade for an amusingly hollow leg bone.

Out of curiosity, anyone have any tricks for keeping the drumsticks intact while carving besides whipping out a scalpel?

Ive never noticed a problem keeping it in tact, but since my kids get the legs, and at least the youngest always wants it cut off the bone for him, I probably wouldnt have noticed if I did have the issue.

I made a chicken over the weekend, and since I remembered your post, I paid attention when I carved the legs. What I do is grab the meaty part of the drumstick with the tongs, grabbing it parallel to the bone, then cut down through the skin between the leg and breast, and finally bend the leg up while cutting up through the inside of the knee joint. It always comes away whole for me.

Here are the legs and a thigh on the children's china ;)

img1350rgk.jpg

img1349v.jpg