Loquitur

Stoker Set Up

Ah, makes sense. Yes, the Stokerlog interface can be a little confusing at first. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back to the Stoker web interface, it's too much fun watching the fan come on and off lol.

One of the things I'll often do is run Stokerlog on a laptop wirelessly (is this a word?) controlling Stoker and then access the Stoker web interface over the Internet using my Blackberry. If your cell phone has web access I highly recommend setting-up the access through the Internet. There's nothing like being at the golf course, car wash or movies and being able to bring-up Stoker, check your temps, adjust temps etc. If you have any questions on this don't hesitate to ask.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Stoker, it's an awesome addition to this hobby.

Yikes - I drowned the power supply....

to my Stoker!!! Thank heavens the fix was a $10 part. We've had a lot of bad weather on the week-ends for a long time. I was running the Stoker trying to beat the rain but got caught. So I ran out and grabbed it not realizing that I pulled the power cord from the back of the Stoker instead of the extension cord and inadvertently left the power supply on the ground where it got soaked. :eek: Needless to say, on my next attempt, it wouldn't power up. :mad: So I ordered a new one from Rock's and now I'm back in business again!!! :love4: I'm really glad I learned how to control the temps manually while I was waiting for the Guru sized inducer tube but there's nothing like the convenience of the automated temperature controller!!

Susan

Stoker Address

I haven't used my Stoker in a while, having been mostly grilling or cooking poultry, direct, at higher temps, but I fired it up today for ribs. I couldn't get a web page up and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to work with the KK manually. This was not the end of the world, certainly, but it was bugging me because the Stoker has worked so well in the past and I didn't want to think I would be having problems with it in the future. So I went through my troubleshooting procedure, the extent of which is checking the wires, checking the wires, and checking the wires again. Needless to say, I had no luck with this. Then I started looking at the settings manually, and, to my surprise, in the System Info que, I noticed that the address had changed!! Once I put the new address in my computer, I had no problem!! So, whaddaya think happened???

Susan

Well, for one thing you can actually use the Stoker the same way you use a Guru - you can use the menu buttons to set the target temperatures so if you run into this issue again you can always get away with a manual Stoker setup. My first Stoker cook was like this just to see what it was like, after I hooked up the Ethernet port I wondered how the Guru guys managed :)

What probably happened is that your Stoker is likely getting its IP address via DHCP. This is an address that typically your router hands out and your router only remembers it until it reboots - and it may forget after a certain timeframe. If you haven't had your Stoker powered on for a while the router probably just "forgot" which IP address to assign to it and picked the next available one. Since the Stoker should probably have an IP address you can remember you can do one of two things:

You can set a static IP address in the Stoker itself, the problem here is that you should make sure it's outside the range of the rest of your computers. Often the router will hand out an address like 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.0.10 and higher. You could probably set the Stoker to 192.168.x.2 or 192.168.x.200 and not have issues - but it's best to check this in your router before setting it up.

What I do is reserve a special IP address for my Stoker. If you log into your home router there should be a means to do this, something usually called DHCP Reservation or something similar. Here you can find the MAC and IP address of the Stoker and tell the router to always give the Stoker this IP and never give it to anyone else.

I know this can be a bit confusing if you're not network-savvy, but if you let me know which model router you have I can try to dig up a manual online and give you some more exact directions.

Those are very interesting videos but those setups are much more complicated than mine was. I guess I got lucky in that I already have a home network (which I know very little about) and a switch not far from my KK. Getting the Stoker to work with the internet was as easy as throwing an ethernet cable out the window, plugging it into the Stoker at the KK and plugging the other end into the switch. I didn't have to do anything else with either the Stoker or my computers to get it to work. The Stoker already had the IP address and when I typed it in the address bar on the computer, the Stoker page came right up - except for that instance where the address got changed and I didn't know it. So depending on your circumstances, it might not be difficult to set up the Stoker at all.

Susan

Hi! My crazy router changed my Stoker address again this time giving it to a Tivo. I figured it out quickly but I'm still having a problem in that the Stoker now thinks I don't have a blower even though the blower is hooked into the Stoker and blowing away. Do I have to reset the Stoker to tell it that I have a blower? I checked the manual and didn't see an instruction to that effect. When I go through the the blower menu on the unit itself it just says None.

Susan

Yes, just re-associate the blower with the pit probe. I would power Stoker down, remove probes, power back on and insert probes (after Stoker has fully booted-up), should pick them up automatically.

I use my stoker so infrequently that I don't bother with assigning it an IP, simply go into system info when I fire her up and look at what IP address she was assigned and type it into my web browser and Stokerlog.