Firemonkey

Eggplant caprese

Its Sunday, and that means a spread of something to graze on while watching football. With the recent discussion of eggplant, and some fresh mozzarella (that wasnt getting any fresher) in my fridge, I decided to make up some eggplant caprese.

img1805yf.jpg

Its just a matter of grilling some eggplant, and topping it with some fresh basil leaves, roma tomatoe slices, fresh mozzarella and a bit of olive oil. I grilled a couple sweet italian sausages before the eggplant...It is football snacks after all!

img1803ww.jpg

The first thing to do is slice and dry the eggplant. I cut into about 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices, spread them on a paper towel and lightly sprinkle them with kosher salt. Then flip and salt the other side. When your paper towels are wet, replace with dry ones and let those get wet, too.

img1798p.jpg

Heat your grill to about 400 dome, and lightly oil the main grate. Put the eggplant on the grill and grill both sides until golden.

img1799z.jpg

img1802jr.jpg

Assemble into stacks with slices of tomato, cheese, and basil. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (I mixed mine with fresh basil and rosemary in the magic bullet). finish with fresh ground pepper, and salt if desired. I did not salt since the eggplant was salted.