Keytickler

Is this newbie crazy to do a brisket first?

Howdy, y'all. I just took delivery of my new 23" Gen II OTB KK. Many thanks to Primeats for his excellent assistance while I was shopping for the new BBQ, and during unpacking and setup. I live quite close to his store. I posted this in the Beef Recipes section a little while ago, but I think this is the more appropriate section for my questions.

Weather here has been cool and rainy, so I haven't used it yet, but this weekend will be the first time to fire it up and start cooking. I'm going to do a 6 lb. brisket flat. I've never BBQed a brisket before, though I've done lots as pot roasts and oven roasts over the years.

I have a recipe in a Stephen Raichlin cookbook for brisket that looks very doable. Put a good rub on the meat on all sides, let it marinate if possible, put the brisket in an aluminum pan fat side up, indirect heat, and cook low and slow (<250 degrees) until the meat is 190 degrees internally. The meat sits in the pan in its own juices to stay moist. You use the pan drippings (perhaps with a little ketchup mixed in) as a sauce when you serve the meat.

If I can, as a newbie, get the fire properly regulated up to but not above the correct temp, I should be able to pull this off.

Here are my questions. The recipe calls for basting with a mop sauce every hour. Do you experienced KK cooks do this, or just let it cook all sealed up with the lid latched?

Do you periodically add more wood chips for smoke while it's cooking? If so, do you use a foil pouch or a smoker box on the coals or on the lower grate, or do you just toss the wet chips on the charcoal?

How long do you estimate that this may take before the meat is at the right temp? Timing is everything. I bought a meat thermometer today that has a remote display, so it should be easy to monitor.

Glad to be with you now!

Keytickler

First, congrats on getting ready for your first cook!

Personally I find it hard to screw anything up with the KK - and I've tried! I like using my Stoker to control the fire but I'm a gadget guy (nothing beats remote desktoping in from my BlackBerry at work to check on the temperatures!). When I first started with the KK I did the manual draft control thing and it's very stable. Always aim for a little lower than what you're setting (it's easier to get it hotter than to cool it down) and after an hour or two you may need to adjust things once it's heat soaked. There is something to be said for making something you're already familiar with so you can compare results, but I think your brisket will be fine.

As for the routine mopping, it depends on what I'm going for. Most meats I'd rather brine and dry rub and leave it sit in the cooker untouched. But LarryR has a Roadside Chicken recipe where I marinade frequently, it adds to the flavor a lot but the frequent openings can make the fire a bit more difficult to control and negates a lot of the moisture retention the KK does very well. Still, it comes out great and is worth the effort. I tend to follow a recipe pretty exactly the first time around and then modify after the fact based on the results. The frequent bastings could bring out some curry-like flavors and textures if done in one way, or could create layers of caramelized flavor in another. Or they could simply be a crutch for the Weber-toting masses who would otherwise end up with a dried out lump of cow and not needed for we KKers. :)

Many thanks for your reply, JD. Given what you and others have said, I may limit the times I open the lid during the cooking. The recipe calls for mopping every hour for the first 4 hours. However, if moistrue retention is what KK users say it is, such frequent mopping may not be necessary. Also, being a noob, I'm still just a little concerned about regulating the temp in there properly, and opening and closing the unit may make this more difficult for low and slow I imagine.

I want to ask again about wood chips for smoking. Do people typically put them in a foil pouch or a smoker box on top of the hot lump charcoal? Or do people simply toss soaked wood chips in with the lump?

The other question I have is about lighting the KK at first. Do you do this with camper and top wide open? For how long? After it registers ~200 degrees, do you then close both down to barely open for the duration? Is a heat soak necessary before putting on the meat? If so, for how long?

I'm ready!

Keytickler

tips

Soaking the smoking wood is unnecessary, it serves no function. The moisture is simply driven off as steam, and then the wood burns. A number of folks here have made an excellent case for using a smoker box, however. It alters the nature of the smoke by causing the volatile, flammable gasses to be burned in the fire. Search the forums to find the threads. Heat soaking the KK prior to putting on the meat is optional, but not necessary. I like to have the meat in there from the get go to spend more time in the smoke. Other folks don't like the "early" white, billowy smoke and wait for the thin blue smoke. Your taste buds will guide you in this, if you try it both ways. Spend some time reading through the old posts and you will find all the answers! And here is a nice primer:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

Keytickler

The other question I have is about lighting the KK at first. Do you do this with camper and top wide open? For how long? After it registers ~200 degrees, do you then close both down to barely open for the duration? Is a heat soak necessary before putting on the meat? If so, for how long?

Wally World sells a package fire starter about the size of a post card and 3/4 " thick.

Break off a piece "1" cube" hollow out small hole in center of lump. Put cube in hole and light. Tent with lump. Close lid and open top vent 1/4 turn. Open bottom vent door 1/4 ". Will be slow to come up to temp.

Use top vent to control temp. Be patient and go slow. Easy to work up in small numbers. Next to impossible to bring down in the beginning.

Success! Thanks for your advice and helpful tips. The brisket turned out wonderfully. No problems--I let the KK come up to 250 degrees slowly so it didn't overshoot, the put the meat in the grill. Total cooking time was ~9 hours for a flat that was just under 6 lbs. We're still enjoying the leftovers, too.

I'm over the newbie hump and ready to try more. Thanks again!

Keytickler

Keytickler

Success! I'm over the newbie hump and ready to try more.

Congrats! I like your idea to start at the top and work your way down.

A brisket is the hardest backyard grill test there is.

What is next? A roti 12 lb turkey on the 8" EZ Que? Neat and self basting.