LarryR

Southwestern Turkey Soup

Haven't tried this yet (will this Thanksgiving) but it sounds awesome. I'll be adding some crumbled blue corn tortillas to top this off, maybe a dollop of sour cream too. I'll let you know how it turns out (with some pics of course):

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Originally posted on November 19, 2009 in the Sacramento Bee - John Wallace, Outdoor Cooking Examiner

After your smoked turkey that you prepared using How to Smoke A Perfect Turkey is crarved up, you are left with a carcass, dripping with perfectly good meat. Clint Cantwell of SmokeInDaEye, 2008 New York State BBQ Champions, offers up a solution to stretch your turkey dollar one more time.

Ingredients:

One turkey carcass with most of the meat removed and set aside

1-2 gallons of water

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup canola oil

1 onion finely chopped

2 celery stalks, minced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 smoked ham hock 2 carrots, cut into slices

1/2 tbspn of cracked black pepper

1 tbspn salt

3 bay leaves

1 teaspoon anaheim chile powder

1 cup roasted corn kernels

2 poblano peppers, roasted, deseeded and deskinned then sliced into matchsticks

1 one pound bag of egg noodles

Directions

Heat large stockpot over medium heat adding oil and flour. Stir continuously to make a dark chocolate colored roux.

Add diced onion, celery, chopped carrot, garlic and sauté approximately 10 minutes until fragrant.

Add turkey carcass and fill pot with water until carcass is submerged. Add ham hock, salt, pepper, bay leaves, chile powder and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer, add lid and let cook for approximately 4-5 hours. Remove lid, remove carcass and discard. Add corn, poblanos, carrot slices, turkey and egg noodles. Simmer approximately another 30 minutes. Skim excess fat from top and discard. Serve warm or refrigerate immediately.

Thanks to Clint Cantwell for this recipe. Catch up with him at A BBQ Nation: The Official Smoke In Da Eye Blog, and Twitter: @smokeindaeye

Did this today and it was a major hit! A couple of tips, throw a little turkey meat into the soup, this was the only complaint. Also, I have no idea how you get a chocolate color roux. The recipe says to ad carrots twice, I threw mine in the first time. It's a keeper.

The longer you cook the darker it gets. Stir constantly. Don't burn or you must start over.

A colored roux is a Cajun and Creole staple in Louisiana cooking. The French believe in cooking roux just long enough for the flour to lose its raw taste (my British "The Whole Beast" cookbook says to wait for that biscuit aroma), and know that as one cooks longer the flour loses thickening ability.

I'd have guessed a medium (or "peanut colored" as described in the above link) roux for Turkey. Fat makes the dish; I'd use butter or some combination of rendered bacon or lard. Unspecified "oil" scares me, and a roux isn't so hard that one needs to swap in oil for technical reasons.

For the roux stage, use a nonstick pan and a silicon spatula, and start the roux as the first thing you do. Until the very end you can leave the roux for stretches as a time, determined experimentally by the difference in color that the spatula reveals on each stir. Meanwhile be chopping veggies like crazy, as that's what arrests cooking when the roux reachs color.

Some people cook a roux very slowly (an hour is not unheard-of) and I've done a five minute roux (like described in the link). That seems all wrong to me; there's plenty to do in the kitchen, and I don't want us ripping through the first bottle of wine in five minutes.

Re: Southwestern Turkey Soup

When I'm feelin' lazy, I whip up Roux with this stuff:

http://shop.tonychachere.com/instant-roux-mix-5-oz-p-21750.html

I also love Chachere's spice n' herbs seasoning...a little olive oil and this stuff rubbed on a steak is fantastic. I usually do a nice thick stip or ribeye and I make a cajun shrimp over angel hair pasta with lemon and garlic to go along with...one of my favorite meals...

http://shop.tonychachere.com/spice-n-herb-seasoning-5-oz-p-21722.html