LarryR

More Charring when Cedar Planking

My only planking on my KK was great, however, not quite perfect so I'm reaching out to you experienced KKers for some advice. My first effort was lacking char on the cedar plank. I'm thinking that maybe I preheated my KK too long or may have been using the wrong grate; I used the main grate and maybe using the sear grate would work better.

Anyone have a great setup that's going to get me a nice char/smokey flavor from my plank? You can see my first setup/results HERE

I soak my planks in water for about 1 hour.

Thanks in advance.

Plank cooking

Hi LarryR,

I've tried cooking fish on the planks as well and the only thing that chars is the plank itself if you don't get it fully saturated. I have a favorite fish market that cooks salmon on their grill (no plank) with nice char marks and it doesn't fall apart. They just swipe the grill with some oil and brush a garlic butter blend onto the side of the fish that goes down on the grill.

1. Their grill is very close to the flame

2. The heat must not be very high because the oil would be pointless at anything over about 375° or 400°

3. It takes about 15 mins from start to finish, so again the heat can't be all that high

We get our KK on MOnday, so I'm going to be experimenting a lot. Fish is definitely on my list.

I should have said "Plank Charring"

Sorry, I reread my post after your reply and realized I never said what I'm trying to get more char on. I'm speaking specifically of the plank charring and getting that great cedar smoke flavor going.

I'm thinking that due to the pre-heating of the KK it required very little burning of the coals to maintain temp and thus the cedar plank didn't char due to the low flame/heat required from the coals.

I have guests coming tonight and I think I'll go with the plank on the sear grate vs. main and see if that helps. Any and all other tips welcome.

Re: I should have said "Plank Charring"

I have guests coming tonight and I think I'll go with the plank on the sear grate vs. main and see if that helps. Any and all other tips welcome.

I am afraid you are going to me serving your guests carry out if you plank fish on the sear grill. The sear grill is way too close to the fire and I would imagine your plank would go up in flames in short order. The lower grill might work fine but I can't say for sure since I have never tried to plank anything. Your comment about not pre-heating so much seems like a reasonable thing to try.

Since your guest came over yesterday, what did you do and how did it go?

Same configuration

Went with the same configuration I used last time, didn't pre-heat as long and got the same results. Awesome fish but lacking the smoldering cedar plank and that really great cedar smoke. Don't get me wrong, the meal was excellent, just want a little cedar smoke flavor. I guess I could always chop-up my planks into chips and toss them on the fire. Next time SO is out of town I think I might try a smaller piece on the sear grate just for shits and giggles. If I burn it I can always throw something else on without someone bitching about me burning dinner or eating late.

th_KKSalmonII1.jpg

Re: Same configuration

Went with the same configuration I used last time, didn't pre-heat as long and got the same results. Awesome fish but lacking the smoldering cedar plank and that really great cedar smoke. Don't get me wrong, the meal was excellent, just want a little cedar smoke flavor. I guess I could always chop-up my planks into chips and toss them on the fire. Next time SO is out of town I think I might try a smaller piece on the sear grate just for shits and giggles. If I burn it I can always throw something else on without someone bitching about me burning dinner or eating late.

th_KKSalmonII1.jpg

Hey LarryR, I cook one heck of a lot of Salmon out here.... might I suggest you put the presoaked cedar planks on the grill until they start smoking then put your Salmon on the plank, season and cook... Sure works good for me.

T Rex

Re: Main grate hot enough

I like to cook my salmon around 350' date=' think the main grate will get hot enough to smolder at those temps? It's a great idea![/quote']

LarryR, try it as I suggested. When you have a lot of smoke coming off of the cedar plank (I soak mine for a minimum of 6 hours and usually over night) put your Salmon on, apply the spices/oil/etc, close the lid..........

Pay attention................................................ ;)

T Rex

Re: Same configuration

Hey LarryR' date=' I cook one heck of a lot of Salmon out here.... might I suggest you put the presoaked cedar planks on the grill until they start smoking [/b']then put your Salmon on the plank, season and cook... Sure works good for me.

My cedar planks say to soak them for 20 minutes to 4 hours. So, in addition to T Rex's suggestion I might suggest you soak them for a period of time shorter than the hour you are currently doing. That should get you smoke faster.