Tucker

Herb Garden

Re: Herb Garden

We created an herb garden a couple weeks ago.

I build the planter and my wife planted the herbs.

Tyme, two types of chives, two types of oregano, three types of basil, sage, rosemary, dill and mint.

It is nice to have fresh herbs again.

vW2sJ.jpg

Great job Tucker, much more organized than ours which is spread out in our flower beds, back deck, etc........ If Mrs. T Rex sees this, guess what I will be doing over the next two weeks........ ;) or what I won't be doing if I don't get one built! ;);)

T Rex

Very nice, nothing beats fresh herbs grown organically. For some reason I have not been able to grow Dill on the Island, which is a must with all of the salmon we eat.

Most of my herbs are growing on a little covered deck we have at the back of the house which faces South and gets lots of sunlight. It is very accessible from the dining room french doors and being covered even T Rex will gather some up for me, even if it is raining, if I ask him nicely.

T doesn't know it yet but I have a couple of things that I want done before he has to put his carpentry skills (or lack thereof) to work.

Mrs. T Rex

Thanks for the compliments.

This is actually very easy.Used a old 10" piece of aluminum gutter, 1"x6" rough cedar.

I ran 5/8" screws from inside out to hold the cedar to the gutter.

once the wood is on the unit becomes quite sturdy.

drill holes in the the bottom for drainage.

took about 45minutes.

Half wine barrels are easily come by in California, $20-$30 at local hardware stores. We started with one herb barrel years back, we now grow three barrels of assorted herbs, two of parsley, one of mint (for mohitos), and seasonally three of young Genovese basil for pesto. Not to mention all the flower barrels; if a neighbor hit a home run over our fence, it would probably land in a barrel.

It's nice being able to rotate barrels, planting fresh every now and then, and ripping out the old once the new is producing enough for use.

I wish someone had told me years ago how easy parsley is to grow. I always imagined it would bolt right away, and I'd use too much. Parsley grows beautifully, and it's hard to keep up with it. One of my inane judgments in my youth was that those who knew realized tabouleh was mostly parsley; the mostly bulghur version was counterfeit. We may have to dig out a tabouleh recipe to keep up.