bryan

Is this Temp standard used by any KK cooks?

Most grilling recipes use terms such as low, medium or high heat rather than temperatures.

The easiest way to judge grill temperature is to hold your hand 3-4" above the grate and start counting: One Mississippi, two Mississippi, and so on.

The number you are at when the heat forces you to pull your hand away corresponds to the temperatures below:

2 to 3: High heat (450 to 650 degrees)

4: Medium-high (400 degrees)

5 to 6: Medium (325 to 350 degrees)

7 to 8: Medium-low (300 degrees)

9 to 12: Low (250 to 275 degrees)

Source: BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen (Workman Publishing, 2003)

thoughts

It is my opinion that when you are grilling you don't need a specific temperature, you need a good hot fire. Which you can eyeball. Then you achieve your desired result by placing the meat or vegetables further or closer to the fire, which is easy on our KK's because of all the grill levels available. Cook it til it's done to your liking. Drop it down to sear it, and you're done. One fire, one temperature, super simple! My preference is too cook the meat evenly throughout, so I cook it a little farther from the fire and a little slower. If you prefer the method of way more done on the outside and way less done on the inside, you cook it down closer to the fire. Five different heat levels is way too complicated for me!

P.S.

It's possible that Raichlen and others may use grills that don't have as many height adjustments as we do, so maybe they have to be more precise about fire temp control. We have all seen grills that have just one level, and it's usually pretty high up from the fire.

Re: Is this Temp standard used by any KK cooks?

Cook - I'd say that because the Tru Temp on the KK is very accurate, many of us just rely on that or the Guru/Stoker.

I think Steve R. has posted a good guideline that has been used for years for many thin metal cookers without temp probes. Our KK's take the guesswork out of the temp part! :D

Re: Is this Temp standard used by any KK cooks?

Gauging grill temperatures:

Sorry I was not clear. My bad!

Most old RECIPES use terms such as low, medium or high heat rather than temperatures.

When one finds recipe references to "low - med - hi" temp's in recipes what this the temp to use?

To me temp is temp no matter what kind of cooker.

The KK does maintain heat in a stable manner. The temp is different at all the different grill levels. We are all aware of this after a short time of cooking on the KK.

My Question is what is the standard in recipes for "low - med - hi"

I know stoves/ovens have marks, numbers, and even "Low- Med - High".

So... when using a recipe referencing to "low - med - hi temp's" in old recipes is this the temp chart to use with the KK?

OK, I see where you are coming from - I would say that for the most part, Yes, this chart is fairly accurate. The one addition I would make to the chart is for "smoking" or "low and slow" This type of cooking, "Q-ing" is done at temps of 225 to 240. I personally dial in at 237 for low-n-slow. Don't ask me why, that's my magic number and I stick with it. 8)