Paswesley

Paswesley's Warm-up for the Big Cook Tomorrow

In an earlier post, I mentioned an Engagement Party for our daughter tomorrow, for which I am cooking 6 pork butts and six chickens. As a warm-up, I tried my first cook today. I cooked a 9 pound fresh picnic. I noticed right away that there is an art to using this baby- it's not exactly a science. What I mean is, I discovered the suggested settings are just that- suggestions based on average conditions. It was 99 degrees in Severn when I put the picnic on. I wanted to roast it at about 350 for about three hours and call it a day. At the same time, Sweetie has a long list of honeydos that I am ticking off while I cook the roast pork. I set the damper and draft, got the temp up to 350, put on the picnic, and patted myself on the back. When I checked it 20 minutes later, the temp was 430! I had failed to account for the effect of the 99 degree weather and afternoon sun beaming directly onto the KK! Well, I also discovered that it truly is a heat sink, and I spent an hour or so slowly fiddling with the draft and cap until I got it to 350. Once the sun began to go down, the temp slid as well, but only down to 325. I am frankly scared of the low and slow that I have to start tonight. But, I am hoping that the relatively stable night temp, lack of sun and knowledge gained from the first cook, will combine with beginner's luck and give me something tomorrow that is at least fit to eat. I am going to take this pork off and see what it tastes like. Too hectic to take any pics. Maybe tomorrow.

Know where your dampers are set and the steady temp 1s that should forever be a constant once everything is up to temp.. Use bottom damper to adjust heat. Very small adjustment if going up. If only the top damper is open just a crack (like seal is broken) the fire won't go out. Shoot for low and slow at 225. (Then any steady temp between there and around 280 you should be OK.)

Keep in mind you must bring all that meat and bone up to 225. The temp reading is in the top if using the probe that came with Kooker. The reading is right at the tip. Be sure it is not touching your mean when you close the lid.

Meat closer to fire is warmer as such all does not get done at the exact same time, but close. As one is done wrap in foil then newspaper and store in cooler. It.s going to stay hot and cook a little more. Even at 200 your pulled pork will be outstanding. Keep the faith. Keep in mind there is going to be a temp hangup for your roast. One never knows how long it will last.

A couple (2-3) remote temp probes would really take away a lot of worry and top opening.

Keep in mind the forum is here and it's Friday so someone is likely to be up for q's.

Thanks, Cook_Shack. The family, including my future son-in-law, thought that the roast picnic was fantastic! I did not even have time to marinate it. I just did a dry rub and threw it on. This kooker is extremely forgiving! It was tender and juicy and done to the bone. Everyone got seconds.

Thanks for the great advice. I have the butts marinating in my secret sauce. I plan to put them on around 12:00 to 1:00 and slow cook them to perfection. I kooked the picnic with some Cowboy lump that I had from my Weber days. However, I got some Royal Oak that I am going to kook the butts and chicken in. I hope to be able to get the fire stable within the first hour. I am confident that I will get the hang of this, even if only because I am so stubborn. Again, thanks for the great, timely feedback. Paswesley

I might suggest that you stabilize the KK now. When ready to load 1- Open lid put the loaded main grill rack on. 2- Sit the loaded top rack on and close the lid. ( Make sure the TRU-TEMP does not touch meat) KK will come back up to temp and again level off. It's all in the heat sink.

That is what you will really be maintaining.

No matter what happens you are looking for a internal temp around 200. When it gets there all is right. Talk nice to her and give a loving pat every now and then and she'll take care of business for you.

I don't know if it's right or wrong. It works for me. At 73 I'll take what works. I figure if I mind the heat sink ( with some minor ups and downs) the product will turn out right. Oven temp plus time = internal temp which ='s product... anything more and I forget. This second child hood thine is great.

Cook_Shack, you are a friend in need. Right now, I am monitoring the kooker temp remotely by the Maverick probe. It has been hanging at 237, so I went outside and I just barely touched the bottom draft. It just went up one degree to 238 as I typed. I was trying to make it go down. Should I try to tease out those last few degrees, down to 225, or should I let her set at 238 or so? Thanks, Paswesley

To Anyone Out There at 1:15 AM

I put the six butts on an hour ago- twice. The first time, I forgot to put the heat deflector in. So, I had to take it all out and start again. While this was going on, the fire began to spread fairly quickly from coal to coal, but I resisted the temptation to mess with the draft and damper. I did not move it from where it was set when I put the meat on. I just let the Maverick probe hang down, because a thunderstorm was approaching. I will reattach the probe once the storm passes. It is still raining right now. I hope the KK is still lit and doing ok. I will check once it stops. I have cleaned the chickens and they are going to marinate overnight. They will go on once the butts come off. Stay tuned... :)

I just got back in from checking on the meat after the thunderstorm. The kooker was cool to the touch, and the tru-temp probe stood at 150, so I wondered if the fire had gone out. Then, I noticed a curl of smoke coming out of the cap. So, I have once again suppressed my impulse to mess with the drafts. As Cook_Shack would say, I am going to trust the heat sink. The meat's temp is 105, which I thought was a bit strange. It was 51 when I put it on 1:45 min. ago. Should it increase that quickly when the kooker is only 238 degrees? I think I am going to trust the big girl and get some shuteye.

Sorry about that. I was exhausted from all the preparations. I don't have the energy at 54 that I once had. Between the errands and the cooking and the honeydos I sacked out around 2:00 AM. When I awoke at 8:30, I realized that the temp of 150 that I had after the rain was genuine. It was still sitting at 150 and the meat was 123. I immediately opened the draft and the temp began to slowly rise. The temp of the Gen. iI is 200 now, but the meat is only 125. I intend to let my heat build to 280 to 285, and let her go so the meat can heat up. I need to get those chickens on by 2:00- 2:30. I am amazed that the KK held at 150 for 7 hours. Try that in a gas grill.

Sorry about that. I was exhausted from all the preparations. I don't have the energy at 54 that I once had. Between the errands and the cooking and the honeydos I sacked out around 2:00 AM. When I awoke at 8:30' date=' I realized that the temp of 150 that I had after the rain was genuine. It was still sitting at 150 and the meat was 123. I immediately opened the draft and the temp began to slowly rise. The temp of the Gen. iI is 200 now, but the meat is only 125. I intend to let my heat build to 280 to 285, and let her go so the meat can heat up. I need to get those chickens on by 2:00- 2:30. I am amazed that the KK held at 150 for 7 hours. Try that in a gas grill.[/quote']

You got it down. One last thing. When opening the draft doesn't increase heat... Open top draft a little.

The volume will take awhile to heat up BUT it's cooking. 280-285 sounds great. The meat is going to hit a plateau around 140-160 Leave Kooker alone! There is nothing wrong and also nothing you can do. Meats just do this. Melting collagen or something of the like. You can Google it. I see all that training with the wood stove came through for you.

Thanks, Cook_Stove. I will turn down the cap. I guess it's due to the meat volume, or the drippings, or both, but I can't get it past 250. BTW, the meat temp is 145, so I am approaching that plateau that you spoke of. After all of your help, it's a shame I can't get you a bite. ;)

250 is beautiful. You have made no mistakes. Sit back enjoy the ride and give her a pat now and then. 250 is 100% better than chasing your tail.

You are cooking a lot of food. Write it all down and log in good notes. That little book will help you for wears to come. It' like your KK note book.

So far you have no need for a Temp control unit. But they are nice. Set it and forget it.

Doc has done some hi-temp cooks. I tried it on chicken and was more than happy with the results.

Fridge/dry thing gets crisp skin:

1- Dry chicken, put in fridge on napkins.

2- Keep changing out all damp napkins.

Get meat to outside temp when ready to Kook. Saves the KK some work.

My way.. I light coat w/mayo, heavy coat salt, and pepper, over and under skin. (I keep it mixed in a large used spice jar w/big holes.) 1c K salt, 1/2c pepper, some garlic pdr - adjust to taste.

Raise lid put loaded rack on and close lid. Looking for 165 internal.

Still no peaking????

And yes I do have a drool problem going on. Please remember to do pictures. And by all means write up the cook for those of us that have not taken on this big of a challenge.

Will do for the pics. I will do a write up also. I have not looked yet, but it is tempting. I am so nervous about upsetting the KK. I have not learned her ways yet. At 11:47, the KK temp is 255, and the meat temp is 165. It looks like I will get her up to pull apart done in time. But, I have a blessing there. Most of my guests are going to be Asian- Filipino and Korean. They love roast pork, the Filipinos call it Lechon. I am not sure what Koreans call it. Anyway, so long as I get the temp up past 170/175, and I clearly will, they will be happy. I am starting to see the short rows, but I'm not back at the barn yet! Thanks for all your help.

Thanks, Joe. At 12:50, the fire is holding at 255, and the meat is 185. Like I said earlier, I don't think I will hit the target of 225 and get the chicken done too. So, I will probably wind up taking them off at around 200 degrees.

Joe, I did take a peek about half an hour ago. They are beautiful! What I noticed, though, is that a grease fire started up right away. What I will do is choke off the fire around ten minutes from now, and then let them cook with the heat sink for another half hour. Hopefully, the fire will be out when I open the lid to take them off. Then, I'll start the KK right back up and stabilize it at 350 for the chicken.