Paswesley

Paswesley's Warm-up for the Big Cook Tomorrow

If you are really concerned about time. Pull pork, checking temp of each.

Wrap in heavy foil, Then paper or towel, and put in closed cooler. (don't open till ready to pull) Pork will keep cooking. At 185 internal you are home free. Just not at the ultimate KK potential.

By the way for what it's worth ..... I think a lot of us chased our tails trying to reduce temp. I know I did.

WOW... Just think what you could do with that "Big Boy" Dennis is making.

Joe: I feel sick to my stomach. I got all the meat off' date=' and it is simply splendid. I am in such a hurry that I could not take photos. I am so sorry. But, that is not what I am sick about. When I relit the KK, I grasped the metal handles on the cap to open it. I had to give it some pressure because it didn't turn. Joe, one of the metal pieces came a loose, along with four or five of the tiles!!! Oi, weh! I will never be able to make it look good again. I pressed the tiles back in place, but it looks terrible, and I feel worse. My wife is going to pitch a fit! I am going to ask Dennis how much one of those caps costs, and maybe I can replace it without her noticing. What a terrible thing to happen in the midst of my first triumph! :cry::cry::cry:[/quote']

You are going to be just fine. Once everything settles down, I would think a little grout and you will be home free. I had one tile come loose on me on the top hat, I pushed it back in and you can not tell where it was....(this is where a tiny bit of bubbling was occuring) On another note, Mrs. T Rex gave me a hand and I removed the lid in an attempt to stop the leak. It isn't perfect but I will see how it goes. I just fired her up and will be doing pork back ribs today, pics to follow.

Sounds like you are well on your way............ just be patient. The feedback you will receive from your guests will smooth everything over nicely........... :D:D

T Rex

I always shoot for 195 when I do pork butts. No real reason to go any higher in my mind. I have also pulled at 185 when I was running low on time and everything was fine. Pork butts are very forgiving.

For temp control, be sure to limit the amount of fiddling you do and be patient. The KK is like a freighter -- it takes a lot to move her so any adjustment takes time to show results. I personally find it easier to tweak temperature using the top damper only. Once you get the bottom damper dialed in (according to the guidelines in the manual) you can fine tune with just the top damper. You would be surprised how big of a difference even an 1/8 of a turn makes.

Nice job on the first (real) cook. Its a big responsibility cooking that much food on a strange beast.

Anyway, you HAVE to use a drip pan. I like the dollar store foil pans. Cheap and easy to throw away.

Second, buy a BBQ Guru or similar. I don't want to start a war about it because there are several threads on the subject already but you really can get some solid shut eye without worry. For me personally, it was the best money I spent. I just did 20lbs of butts the other night. I put them on at 2200hrs or so, I got up to P at 0300hrs and went right back to bed. Didn't even go downstairs to check. Thats confidence. :)

Third, your damage that was sustained-don't wory about it. I can tell you from experience these cookers are very easy to repair. I had to do a repair on mine because someone used the lid handle to lift the cooker (don't do that btw). I performed major surgery on the beast and to this day its tip top and that was a year ago.

Welcome to the Klub!

Post Party Report

I have received rave reviews. I have cooked food for guests for over thirty years. I can certify that this was the best received food that I have ever offered. Following Cook_Shack's advice, it was almost easy. The kooker did all of the work. I cooked six pork bone-in butts, a total of over fifty-eight pounds, along with six butterflied fryers. I have never tasted pork and chicken that was this moist, tender, flavorful, and just plan delightful. "Outstanding" and "Superb" were accolades that I heard over and over. The greatest compliment is the fact that every morsel was consumed, down to even gnawing on the bones. When you see people gnawing and sucking on bones, then you know that food was simply scrumptious. If I thought that I had done anything, I would be ashamed of this boasting. But, the KK did the work, so I am boasting about it. Cook_Shack, you were a great help, and I deeply thank you. I frankly suspected that some of what I was reading was hype. I now know that the half has not been told. If I can get results this well when I just got the KK, what kind of results will I be able to achieve once I become truly expert in it's use? Happy kooking, all!

Thanks, back to you, Cook_Shack. Just got up. The last guests left at 1:45 AM, and we didn't get into bed until 4:00. I think I'll let myself and my KK rest today. We earned it. I think I will throw some beef or fish on her tomorrow and see what comes of that. My next door neighbor told my wife (woman to woman), "Tell your husband to put an extra butt on for me whenever he cooks one." I'm going to have to do that. She also told me that if I ever get tired of the KK, I can bring it over to her house.

The Boss says that I can send her some pork or chicken, but the KK stays here! She was a hard sell for the KK. Once she makes up her mind, it's hard to change it, especially when it involves personal sacrifice. This year, it was either the KK or a trip to Maui to visit with relatives. I talk her out of her trip to Maui and then give the KK away to the lady next door?!!! I don' want my head broken! :lol:

My KK's Name Is...

It's funny that you should ask. When I got up today and was thinking about her, suddenly she seemed to be Mable. I have no explanation, but my KK is definitely a girl and her name is Mable. I thought you would think I was off my rocker to tell you I had named her. Thanks for bringing it up. What is your KK's name?

Re: My KK's Name Is...

It's funny that you should ask. When I got up today and was thinking about her, suddenly she seemed to be Mable. I have no explanation, but my KK is definitely a girl and her name is Mable. I thought you would think I was off my rocker to tell you I had named her. Thanks for bringing it up. What is your KK's name?[/quote

"Ralph" The original Ralph was a very special airman that worked for me in the USAF. Ralph always followed every instruction to the letter, sometimes to the dismay of his supervisors. By the time the laughter was over the supervisors had accepted the fault as their own and Ralph just smiled and went his way in his own private orbit.

My KK does exactly as I tell it. No exceptions. Believe me Ralph taught me to be sure what I want because he always gave me exactly what I ask for.

With this Ralph.. So far so good....

suggestion for relaxation

I suggest you get a Guru or a Stoker, Pas. Others here disagree. All you have to do is program the temp of the fire, crack the top hat open just enough so smoke can waft out, and you are going to have perfect fire control. You don't need it for a "hot" cook, but can use it for such. It's real use is low and slow. Here are the pearls you need for success in using the Guru temp controller for a low and slow: First, there are two start-up methods, one in which you can hang around and monitor your start-up; and the second is when you need to start the fire and leave right away. If you need to get the fire going and get gone, do this: open the blower vent on the Guru to about 1/4 open, or a little less, and NO MORE. Do this by looking into the opening, don't use the little diagram on the sliding door. Set the actual fire temp you want. Start only a small central few pieces of lump. Crack open the top damper just enough that some smoke comes out when the fan is not blowing and a little more comes out with the fan on. Of course the bottom damper should be shut, only the blower is acting as the bottom damper. This should get your cooker dead on the temp you want.

If you open your Guru blower vent any more than this, you will get a temperature overshoot that takes forever to correct.

Now, since the above described method works, you don't need this next method , but here it is. Spin the top damper quite open, open the Guru blower all the way, start a small amount of lump, set the fire temp on the Guru to 180. Sit there and watch it. When the temp hits 180, shut down the top vent to just cracked as previously described, as well as the Guru blower vent to 1/4 or less. Re-set the fire temp on the controller to your low and slow desire, typically 225. This gets the fire going a little faster but prevents overshoot. No matter what, you will not get a stable low temp fire if you open the Guru blower vent more than about 1/4 or less. All the above pre-supposes a 10 CFM blower.

Re: suggestion for relaxation

You don't need it for a "hot" cook' date=' but can use it for such. [/quote']

I don't recommend this. At 400 my main probe burned up and had to be replaced. Costly mistake. I understand the new one will go a little higher but...

probes

If I recall, Guru says not to expose their probes to direct flame. I never do. For a "hot" cook, I was thinking a hot indirect, as for a fast hot brisket, or an indirect turkey cook. Say 300 to 375. The probes easily handle that if protected by a heat deflector. For a hot direct cook, I never measure the fire temp in any way. I just eyeball it.