Paswesley

Sweet Potato Pie, Anyone?

KK Family:

I felt rotten today, I have an upper repiratory infection, so to cheer myself up- I got to Kookin'! I put a fresh 11.5 pound turkey and a 9 pound fresh picnic on the main grill and settled in at 326 for a spell. For dinner, I added a nice milk gravy to the giblets that I had slow stewed on the stove along with a nice side salad, and, well, I nearly swallowed my tongue it was so good. Despite the fact that I did not wrap the wings in foil, they remained so tender and juicy that my wife told me to stop grinning when I bit into one. The pork was an improvement on the first attempts a week back. Spectacular! As we were tidying up, I noticed a couple Beauregard sweet potatoes sitting accusingly in the basket that we keep dry veggies in. When I mentioned to my wife that the potatoes might have been added to the meal, she said, "It's still hot. What's stopping you." I sprayed a coating of canola oil on those puppies and set them in the KK. Two hours later, I was grinning like a fool again. Now, "I am southern born and southern bred, and when I die, I'll be southern dead." I know a good tasting sweet 'tater when I taste one. Mable ought to be ashamed for how she made those potatoes taste. When I cook them in a conventional oven, the juices run out and burn in the bottom of the pan. In the KK, all of the juice somehow stayed in the skin, and when I bit into it, it was like someone had poured a little pool of rich sweet syrup over the potato in the skin. I am not ashamed to admit that I ate the skin and licked my fingers. Has anyone ever tried to cook a sweet potato pie in the KK? I mean, if the bare potato comes out like that, the pie ought to be "slap yo' momma good!" ;)

Pie

I've done several strawberry-rhubarb pies and many apple gallettes. Will do a sweet potato pie very soon. I cut my sugar by at least half since the potato is so sweet to begin with. Also, I reduce the spices, nutmeg and cinnamon to a scant pinch. I prefer to taste the potato rather than the heavy spices. Good luck!