tlinder

Pig Knuckles

Finally I had again some time to take a few shots of a very delicious piece of meat.

-Brined the knuckles for 24 hours

-Put the knuckles into the KK at 212 degrees Fahrenheit

-Took them out when they reached 160 degrees Fahrenheit

-Heated up the grill to 400 degrees fahrenheit

-Roasted the knuckles for aprox. 10 minutes till very crispy

okC6S.jpg

I served them with honey mustard.

Luv it! In the U.S these would be called pork shanks. tough as whale blubber unless done as you suggested! I would guess they melted in your mouth!

Exactly! In the raw state it looked really blubbery but after the cooking onky the outer rim consisted of fat that was very crisp and inside there was very tender and juicy meat.

Hey Tlinder, this looks a lot like schweinshaxe! Did you finally get me a recipe? haha

I made some last week, but instead of using hocks (knuckles), I use the leg portion of a shoulder roast. That is easier for me to find (fresh) and has a lot more meat.

-=Jasen=-

Yes, you're right! I finally gave it a try! Now I remember again your request.

Re: A Wonderful Dish

The knucles look great. I haven't had them since visiting Berlin some years ago. I have to try your method. What was the brine concentration?

Hi Slu

I used the same brine like in my pork belly recipe which is by the way also very delicious:

http://komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685&highlight=

Thanks for the link. Both look like great eats! Fortunately a number of the ethnic Mexican markets here have the whole knuckles, so I hope to try your recipe soon!

Luv it! In the U.S these would be called pork shanks. tough as whale blubber unless done as you suggested! I would guess they melted in your mouth!

Is this cut of shank from the upper portion of the leg? I've noticed that the shank portion available here tends to be narrower, more like a lamb shank than the rounder German style cut.

Is this cut of shank from the upper portion of the leg? I've noticed that the shank portion available here tends to be narrower, more like a lamb shank than the rounder German style cut.

Yes, it is quite a big piece and so it must be from the upper portion. One of this shanks weights about a pound. I also had once the narrower parts in France and it was very disgusting. It had almost no meat but only fat and gristle.

Yes, it is quite a big piece and so it must be from the upper portion. One of this shanks weights about a pound. I also had once the narrower parts in France and it was very disgusting. It had almost no meat but only fat and gristle.

An easy meaty cut that is readily available in most places is the shoulder. Have the butcher cut the leg end of the shoulder and it works out perfect. Though you don't get quite as much skin as with lower cuts. Some of our markets already have this piece cut off of about half the shoulders in the case (Publix market).

Here is the recipe I use for German Schweinshaxe viewtopic.php?t=559 . Though lately I pressure cook to get up to temp (the vegetables add more flavor to the meat), then grill at high temp or deep fry to finish (man the frying makes the skin awesome but sinful).