Paswesley

Mable's First Cold Cook

It is one thing to see photos of Gen IIs cooking away with snow atop them. It is another to use the cooker in low temps yourself. Tonight, it is around 32 degrees farenheit in Severn, MD, and I am doing our first cook in cold temperatures. It feels sort of odd to walk outside with frost crunching underfoot and big puffs of frosty air pluming around my head, and there sits Mable puffing cheerily away! There is a twenty-two pound turkey sitting in her belly, and she is humming cheerily along at 205 degrees. I put the bird on at 7:30 PM. My RediChek is sitting at 155, so I am dialing her down to about 180 and I am going to bed. The turkey won't reach 180 degrees at that temp, and I will be able to sleep through the night. I will crank her to around 350 in the morning to finish the bird off with a nice brown. The funny thing is that the family does not really like sliced turkey with gravy. We may eat one meal of sliced bird, but we probably won't. What we like is to mince the entire bird, place the meat in a very savory giblet gravy, and serve it over rice or mashed potatoes. Proletariat fare for some of you hoi pollois I suspect, but good comfort food to us. G'night, y'all!

Re: Mable's First Cold Cook

Tell you what, that chopped up smoked turkey makes some great tacos, enchiladas, and goes real well in scrambled eggs! Here's a good egg recipe for ANY left over Q:

Saute a big wad of chopped or minced garlic and onions, throw in a huge fistful of smashed Fritos, add a good portion of chopped leftover Q, throw in your eggs and scramble. It's a modified type of migas. Good chow.

Re: Mable's First Cold Cook

Thanks, Doc. I have some pictures, but not per usual. I was in a rush this morning, getting ready for a funeral, and could not photo the food on Mable. I snapped a few pics with my iPhone as it sat on the stove, cooling. Sorry. When I got back from Arlington, Va, I minced the entire bird and made a giblet gravy with the pan drippings. I used flour, giblets, drippings, and whole milk. There is a picture of the finished turkey hash on the stove. I had to force myself to stop eating it!

post-6845-139082391507_thumb.jpg

post-6845-13908239152_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082391531_thumb.jpg