Paswesley

Coldest KK Kook?

Season's Greetings!

As a relatively new owner, I adopted Mable on July 14, 2010, I continue to be amazed at what she can do. Had anyone told me a year ago that you could slow cook brisket at 210 degrees in 20 degree weather, I would have said, "Yeah, right!" Well, that is precisely what she is doing right now.

I have a question for the forum. I know that some have cooked during Nor'easters, but I want to know about minimum ambient temperature cooks.

What is the lowest outside temperature at which you have used your KK? What was the item you were cooking? To date, I have used Mable to cook brisket in 20 degrees above zero weather, and since it is an overnight cook, it should be 17 degrees in Severn by morning. Anyone else want to share? Thanks!

Re: Coldest KK Kook?

The KK is exceedingly well insulated. The basic equation governing heat transfer is Newton's law of cooling, which states

The rate of heat loss of a body is proportional to the difference in temperatures between the body and its surroundings.

The KK loses heat both through its walls, and through the airflow needed to maintain the fire. Nevertheless, this rule is a good first approximation; it appears to agree with fuel consumed in various scenarios. I would believe it most closely for slow cooks, where airflow is minimal.

A 210 F cook on a 90 F day is a difference of 120 F. A 330 F cook on a 90 F day is a difference of 240 F. Both are absolutely routine for the KK; the latter uses more fuel.

A 210 F cook on a minus 30 F day is also a difference of 240 F. This is in principle no more difficult for the KK. The temperature differential should impose no more stress than other situations we consider routine.

What would invalidate this would be some sort of vulnerability to very low temperatures in the materials used. One thinks of Richard Feynman, O-rings, and the space shuttle. I was once taken by surprise by these temperatures, winter camping with my brother; my outer shell tore like paper, leading me to discover the North Face brand back when it was more for specialized uses like mountaineering. I learned that the only sports enthusiasts who don't stay in their tents at these temperatures are cross-country skiers traversing Antarctica; they can control their pace to maintain constant temperature. At the other extreme, K2 is a much harder climb than Everest not only because there are actual technical climbing sections, but because one has to wait standing still for unpredictable intervals as one's team tackles these sections.

Dennis knows best, but to understand the KK materials one needs to think in thousands of degrees. I doubt that any outdoor temperature swing on this planet poses a particular threat.

Thanks for the technical answer. Mable really did evidence no difference in her cooking characteristics than if the ambient temp had been 85 degrees. I think Mable would cook just as readily at -150. I am no mountaneer, but it would be great if someone was to use a high altitude capable helicopter to lift a KK to base camp on Everest and leave it there for the climbers to use. Talk about a taste of home in an alien landscape! The only difference associated with cooking at below freezing temps is to take care not to slip on any frozen water or grease that might be on the patio near the KK.

BTW, the brisket was the juiciest and tastiest so far. I had intended to slow cook it. However, due to my expectation that Mable would perform differently at low ambient temps, the KK heat-soaked at 285 instead of 210. I popped the meat in anyway. The 8.5 lb. brisket cooked to a temp of 190 in 5.5 hours. The dry rub, my proprietary blend which is heavy on the cumin (reported to boost libido, BTW, and I think it does) rendered my wife speechless.

I've gone down to the mid-teens, but not much further. I've told my wife that below that temperature we risk creating a a rift between the ratios of Gibbs and Helmholtz free energies which could result in a catastrophic fracture in the third law of thermodynamics, but really it's just that I don't want to go outside when it's that cold :)

The KK stands up remarkably well in these ultra-low temperatures, especially with a 10CFM fan blowing frigid air into it every time I want to raise the temperatures. It's also a good example of BBQ vs. grilling. I'm fine with BBQ at these temps because I go outside exactly three times, to light the KK, to put the meat on, and to take the meat off. Grilling, on the other hand, is more active and involves all sorts of flipping and turning which isn't going to get done when it's that cold out!

A couple of you have requested my rub recipe. I feel honored. It's not very good, but it'll do.

To a base of 7 heaping tablespoons of Lawry's Seasoning Salt add:

1 Heaping Tablespoon of finely ground sea salt

2 Heaping Tablespoons of garlic powder

2 Heaping Tablespoons of onion powder

1 Heaping Tablespoon of a good curry powder

2 Heaping Tablespoons of fresh cumin

1 Heaping Tablespoon of confectioner's sugar

1 Heaping Teaspoon of cayenne pepper (habanero if you dare)

1 Haeping teaspoon of ground allspice

1 Heaping teaspoon of powdered ginger

Mix these dry ingredients thoroughly and apply about one teaspoon per pound, or to taste. I often rub a light coat of melted butter on the meat before the rub.

Take plenty of vitamin E and let the Mrs. eat all that she wants. You have a generous portion yourself. You are on your own for the rest. Happy Holidays!