ckillgore

Keeping the Komodo Kamado Kleen

I am a newbie here, so hopefully the old pros can jump in and help us out with what they have learned, . . . . .

but, I found a product that works great for keeping the exterior stainless steel looking like new. I got it to clean my new stainless steel pots and pans (we are getting rid of all the non-stick cookware). It's called Bar Keepers Friend,and it works like magic. It will have your SS looking great with very little effort.

Here is a link to Amazon if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Frien ... =8-2-spell

Also, someone else made a post about using a 24" water heater pan to soak the grills in. Don't know why I didn't think of this, but it works great. Highly recommended!

Re: Keeping the Komodo Kamado Kleen

Mostly I've learned that keeping it very clean is probably not worth the effort :)

Barkeeper's Friend is reportedly pretty good stuff for the exterior trim, but I've never used it myself (I use another stainless cleaner my local supermarket carries).

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is good for cleaning the tiles when there are drips or buildup near the damper.

A GrillFloss is a good tool for a rough cleaning of the grills, I prefer a BillyBar but it's not stainless and using anything non-stainless on stainless steel will cause pitting and rusting. The grills don't need to be spotless, like a cast iron skillet they seem to perform a bit better when they're seasoned.

Run it at a high temperature every so often to burn off buildup inside the cooker.

I use a small bench brush to clean out the ashes before a cook when they start to build up (assuming it's been long enough that they're cool). I brush them onto the lid of a large container I use for other compostables and dump the ashes in. Like the grills, getting it spotless isn't that important - you'll just be filling it with ashes during the next cook anyway. I've had my eye on a fireplace vac which may be able to get more from the corners and crevices, but that seems like a bit more hassle.