MadMedik

Dry Baby Back Ribs??

Today I cooked some Baby Back ribs, they were "extra meaty" per the packaging...and they were VERY meaty. I was excited and could not wait. My temperature goal was 250, but i had to leave after it was started and i think it made it up to 260 for a least an hour and a half before it got turned back down to 240/250 range. They were on the grill at 12:30, but heat not up to 250 until just before 1pm. I got home at 5:10, basted them w/wet sauce, then 15 minutes later put in foil on the grill for about 30 minutes longer. Took them off at 6:00 exactly. Ate them 5 minutes later. Total time on grill, from 12:30ish to 6pm, 5 and 1/2 hours. I used indirect stone and placed meat on main grill.

Impression: Not moist and tender like I anticipated they would be. Meat did NOT separate from bone when grabbing one end of slab and 'shaking' lightly. From reading forum i thought 4 to 5 hours was a given, and with them being extra thick, i really did not think 5 1/2 hours would dry out or overcook them. To look at them, they looked perfect and were not burned, or blackened at all.

As I ate them, there was TONS of meat, little fat really, and absolutely they were cooked. It just seemed that they were not moist at all.

Thoughts: 1) did i just freaking over cook them? 2) Did eating them 5 minutes off the grill not allow for the meat to "rest" and moisten up (more on this in a second) 3) Are the extra Thick/Meaty Baby back ribs harder or different to cook than your "normal" rack....as in don't cook them so long...cook them longer (not!), or what?

"Resting of the meat": My father came by and took half of 1 slab home to eat. I told him basically what i have written here. I was not real pleased with my efforts. He has now called me twice, first saying his first rib is good, not seem dry.... then calls back again saying I should come over and try them again, he thinks they are fine and not dry... I am too full to go over and try them. Is it possible the 'resting' period of 40-50 minutes or so still in the foil while at my house made them moisten up? I still have most of 1 rack left and will eat them tomorrow, perhaps those will change my mind on this post. I am just too full to eat another bite....have you ever felt like that ? :D

Well, i know i will figure this stuff out. Perhaps 'resting' the meat is the key. But man, they sure seemed dry to me... :(

MadMedik

Re: Dry Baby Back Ribs??

Cooked a little too long. i have had the best luck at 3.5 hours at 230/250 indirect, no sauce. sometimes even 3 hours at 250/300, but no more . Spare ribs need the extra time, 5 to 6 hours. they can take it, but the back ribs don't have enough "starch" or fat and collagen inside. We've all been there my friend, and people better than you and me have burned a few( and sometimes still do but won't admit it!)Try again, lower temps this time and not as long.

Re: Dry Baby Back Ribs??

I find 3.5 hours at around 225-250 works great for me on the pork side ribs. I don't like to cook them fall of the bone though. I prefer a bit of resistance. Fall off the bone says over-cooked to me. I usually flex the rack after 3 hours to check the progress. I want the meat pulling back from the bones at the ends for sure, but not cracking between the ribs when flexed a bit.