Firemonkey

Foodsaver Marinating container?

Anyone have one of these? Does it work? Worth the space it will consume in my cabinet?

Im looking at the square one, they also have a rectangular one, that looks deeper, but I was thinking about using it to pull liquid out of steaks before cooking them, as well as marinating chicken, fish, etc. so the flat square one seems like the better plan. But it seems small (2 Qt, 9.25 "x9.25"). IF anyone has one, is it big enough to be functional?

Re: Foodsaver Marinating container?

Yeah, thats the other one I saw. The dimensions sound small, though. (9"X 5.25" but its deeper)

Was the lid an issue on the other one, or just a one time fluke? Is the depth more useful than the added floorspace of the other? I will probably use it to pull juice from steaks as much as marinating.

I don't think the depth add anything, but the lid design seems stronger than the other one I had. Best thing is to go put your hands on them both. The new rectangle lid looks different than the one I had, so go for it. Not like these are a huge investimate!

Sounds like you have one of the canisters. The marinating containers allegedly have thicker plastic to handle refrigeration. Lots of complaints about the canisters getting small cracks, around the little button on top if I recall correctly. Now that you mention them, I have a few of those canisters too - came with my foodsaver. I have even used on of them a couple times on some cut up chicken breasts, and its held up so far.

But you're right, I think I need a flat one.

Lots of complaints about the canisters getting small cracks ....

This was the problem I had with two marinating containers. The first one I had lasted a couple of years but its replacement developed the cracks within a month. I liked it alot when it was working and miss having it. Mine were both the 9" square model and it was fine for cooking for two. They are definitely on the small side.

I had the same problems with the regular canisters so I bought the mason jar lid attachment and now use the old fashioned mason jars. They are great - they come in different sizes, they are sturdy glass and they go about everywhere including dishwasher, microwave and freezer. Not much good for marinating, though.