Loquitur

Online Source for Lump Charcoal

Here in the northeast, its hard to find a selection of hardwood lump charcoal at any time of the year so I have been ordering Royal Oak online at doitbest.com and then picking it up at the local affiliate to get the free shipping. I like it alot except I would prefer a smaller bag so that I could handle it easier. So today I just ordered 12 10 lb bags of Ozark Oak for $8.95 a bag and free shipping since the order is more than $99. This charcoal has a high rating at Naked Whiz website - higher than Royal Oak. I'm anxious for it to arrive. Just thought I'd post about it for others who might need to order online. The site is http://www.grillstuff.com.

Re: Online Source for Lump Charcoal

I am always on the lookout for a deal on some quality charcoal, so your post made me take a look at the Do it Best website, which also led me to check amazon on a whim. I was surprised to find coconut shell lump in a 9# bag, for $17.65. That sounds high, but when you consider that it has free shipping with Amazon prime, its actually a good price.

27 reviews posted for this brand, and all the reviewers are missing the real benefit of the Coco coal. All their reviews are based on grilling, not extended low and slow cooks, so while they rate it favorably, they are missing the big benefit. I found it rather funny to read all the reviews where they are knocking it down a star because it lacked the traditional hardwood smoke. The clean burn was a detractor for many.

MIght be worth a shot if anyone is out of, or has never tried the coconut charcoal. I still have some of Dennis' first batch on hand, I have been miserly in using it.

http://www.amazon.com/Coshell-9-Pound-C ... 458&sr=8-4

Hello Loquitur;

I have the solution to your heavy bags. Come to Montreal for a visit of our beautiful city. Stop by our place for a bbq and some drinks. Close by here there is a market where they sell Royal Oak in 4kg (8.81lbs) bags for $7.80 each. You can load the car and go home full and happy.

Ozark Oak is made by 4th generation at Snow,Arkansas you go north of US412 which runs across North Arkansas. I used to go by there on my way to the White River for trout fishing. I would stop by the Ozark Oak factory and they would sell it to me; buying 10 bags for $2.50 a bag.I could not carry more than 10 with my class C RV.

Hello Loquitur;

I have the solution to your heavy bags. Come to Montreal for a visit of our beautiful city. Stop by our place for a bbq and some drinks. Close by here there is a market where they sell Royal Oak in 4kg (8.81lbs) bags for $7.80 each. You can load the car and go home full and happy.

Hmm, all of our local Walmarts carry Royal Oak ~8 lb bags for around $6.50 or so. Wish I could find larger bags. Our Home Depot / Lowes / Ace usually carry Cowboy or similar 8lb bags too. Though a trip to Montreal does sound way more appealing than coming to Augusta, Ga and our 95-100 degree weather. Hell, I don't even need charcoal to cook with right now, just inject some smoke into my black tile grill and it is solar cooking!

-=J

Hephaestus:

Thank you for the lovely invitation - I will take you up on it for sure, maybe next summer. Montreal is one of my most favorite cities. My husband and I spent our honeymoon there 35 years ago and we have spent many 4th of July extended weekends there at the Jazz Festival. It is a beautiful city indeed!!