bryan

Sous Vide Unit

Re: Sous Vide Unit

I thought about rolling my own. I in fact almost ordered some lab equipment in the 1980's after reading Harold McGee on the foolishness of relying on the boiling point of water to guide cooking. (I couldn't afford it.) This wouldn't have put me at the forefront; I didn't know it, but French chefs had already been using sous vide to maximize fois gras yields for a decade. So when I say the reverse sear isn't original, it's with full respect for bringing the idea to practice. We all get scooped, it's the way of the world.

In increasing price, in different kitchens I own each of

Sous Vide Magic

Sous Vide Supreme

and I want the

Poly Science Sous Vide Professional

I use the Sous Vide Magic to control my own cookware on a hot plate. It is intended for a rice cooker, insulated but not that flexible a shape.

The Sous Vide Supreme is insulated and rectangular. One can use it as a water oven with 1/6, 1/4, or 1/3 steam table inserts, allowing tasting and adding ingredients as you go. I have beans cooking now; time to add the onions and salt.

For the Poly Science, one gives up insulation for circulation, and container flexibility. It's the only pro-grade consumer device. Attach it to a polycarbonate Cambro as they do in restaurants, or to a stock pot.

With any sous vide device one can taste and add ingredients as one goes, by using a sous vide (food safe at higher temperatures) ziplock (resealable) bag: Vacuum Seal Bags & Zip Pouches

I swore I'd never be drawn to low temp meat cooking, to single degree precision, and at first I stuck to braises and such. But meats cooked sous vide then grilled truly rock, and 139 F is different than 140 F. Try skirt steak.

One can get there with any rig and some ingenuity, but the better equipment makes it much easier. Reminds me of the grain mills we left by the wayside before splurging on the Wolfgang Mock.

Or, for that matter, all the cookers before the Komodo Kamado. The other cookers work, and the Komodo Kamado is worth every penny. We know this story well.

Re: Sous Vide Unit

I started with the Alber WS control unit and a foodsaver vac.

I buy the http://www.etcsupply.com/etc-prewired-c ... e36088175c units as presents for my grand kids to learn Sous Vide cooking.

After reading the many on site post I took the plunge for the two units I now use. I recommend that if there is a chance you will buy in the future then do it now and enjoy while you are thinking about it. I am still sorry I did not buy the KK sooner.

Leftovers are now precooked top of the line meals. (no freezer burn) Heat bags in 140f water and serve hot off the grill tasting food.

Life is good.