slu

SS Rack for cold smoking

n68278 Now that we have the KK extruded charcoal, is there any interest in having a stainless steel cylindrical charcoal basket, one that we could insert inside the existing basket, to be used for cold smoking? Firemonkey's photo above is the inspiration for an insert. I suspect that it would only have to be large enough to hold 3 ECC and a few wood chips. n68279

Re: SS Rack for cold smoking

I'd actually be interested in figuring out an external smoke box that can cold feed smoke via ducting into the bottom draft door. It would be much easier to regulate temps independent of airflow.

I would hesitate making a SS briquette holder based on only one shape of charcoal, however, if it's something that can adapt to other ECC's then I'd be interested.

Now that we have the KK extruded charcoal' date=' is there any interest in having a stainless steel cylindrical charcoal basket, one that we could insert inside the existing basket, to be used for cold smoking? Firemonkey's photo above is the inspiration for an insert. I suspect that it would only have to be large enough to hold 3 ECC and a few wood chips.[/quote']

Actually Dennis used to make what you are asking, maybe a little bigger, but was hardly used by most people so it was discontinued. There are probably still some early owners here not using that basket which maybe willing to send it to you for the shipping.

-=J

I'd actually be interested in figuring out an external smoke box that can cold feed smoke via ducting into the bottom draft door. It would be much easier to regulate temps independent of airflow.

A simple solution is a Weber Smokey Joe on the ground beside the KK and some automotive hose. Hook one end to top of Smokey Joe where the exhaust ports are located and the other to the Guru port of the KK. You can even toss a Guru on the Smokey Joe with probes in the KK to add temp control.

Or you can build your own like I did. Scroll down through the thread for my pics.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2635&hilit=cold+smoke+box

-=J

I have one of the original insert rings, and they are way to big for this application. I think a simple solution can be made for about a dollar, using one of the expanded aluminum screens from walmart. They make the disposae expanded metal screens in round shape or pizza, but also in a rectangle shape too. I think if you rolled a rectangular one into a cylinder, it would be about the perfect size. And since it's for lower temps, you don't have to worry about melting or vaporiIng the aluminum.

I have one of the original insert rings' date=' and they are way to big for this application. I think a simple solution can be made for about a dollar, using one of the expanded aluminum screens from walmart. They make the disposae expanded metal screens in round shape or pizza, but also in a rectangle shape too. I think if you rolled a rectangular one into a cylinder, it would be about the perfect size. And since it's for lower temps, you don't have to worry about melting or vaporiIng the aluminum.[/quote']

I did not get one, so was unsure of the size....just knew they were for small fires. But if you wanted something more permanent than aluminum screen, how about an asparagus steaming basket? I saw them on amazon for under $10 and I am guessing WallyWorld would be about the same. That should be small enough...right? FYI, I still love the wire rod idea and stacking the CEL on it....ingeniously simple.

-=J

I did not get one, so was unsure of the size....just knew they were for small fires. But if you wanted something more permanent than aluminum screen, how about an asparagus steaming basket? I saw them on amazon for under $10 and I am guessing WallyWorld would be about the same. That should be small enough...right? FYI, I still love the wire rod idea and stacking the CEL on it....ingeniously simple.

-=J

Yeah, that would be about the right size. My only concern with a basket (of any sort) is controlling the spread of the fire. With rods, you can absolutely control how many ecc pieces are lit at any given time. In a basket, the fire can spread any direction it wants. I think if I were going to do a big batch of jerky, I would go get some threaded stainless rod, a few big washers/nuts and wingnuts. I'd make it so i could just use wingnuts to attach the rods to the bottom of the basket when I needed them. Sort of like you might attach a perch in a bird cage.