bri134

Review: 2011 KK CoCo Charcoal - it's amazing.

Re: Review: 2011 KK CoCo Charcoal - it's amazing.

I must agree. I cooked a few burgers today, using the old standby Royal Oak lump. I couldn't resist throwing a couple of the 2011 KK sticks on the top, just to see what would happen. The fire got about 30 degrees hotter than normal at the top and daisy wheel settings where I had it set. Also, when the rest of the lump was fully burning, the KK coco char was not fully lit, remaining mostly black all over. It was only red where the sticks were touching the Royal Oak lump. So, i can see that the coco char is going to be very long burning, as well as burning at a hot temp. This is not a good review, I know, I should have waited until I had a full basket of the coco lump. I couldn't wait, though. I will give a better review when I do a real cook with a full coco basket.

When I got in from work, I looked at the charcoal basket to see how the KK char had fared in yesterday"s burger cook. What I did not say in my earlier post is that I had soaked Mable to 475 before I pushed her to 600 to cook the burgers. By this time, the coals were fully involved, except the coco char, and had been alight for at least an hour. When I examined the coco char, I saw that it was almost completely unaffected. It had a slight tan coloration where it was touching the Royal Oak lump. Other than that, it was completely unaffected by the cook. It did not appear to have lost any mass. "Impressive. Most impressive!"

@NakedWhiz::

Don't you know it! Whether or not the weather is nice. This is a KK, after all! :D

I noticed the exact same thing Tom, I tapped it this afternoon to see if it was just ash, when it didn't disintegrate I picked it up. Still had a good amount of weight to it.

I can't wait for the Whiz's review; this, IMO, is a really amazing product.