tnt

Review: Brisket using the new coconut charcoal from Dennis

I know, I know, I know, No pictures it never happened.... :oops:

But I tried the hybrid approach which means I had to get up at 3:00AM since company was coming at noon. I was lucky to find the KK at 3:00AM much less remember to look for my camera.

I used Chris Lilly's recipe but I put the wet and dry rub on the night before so it had time to work into the meat. I loaded 6 pieces of Dennis new charcoal into the KK lit about 4 Kingsford briquets to get things started. heat soaked the KK to 225 and let the brisket go until it reached 165. Wrapped it in foil and cranked the KK to 350. Everything finished off at about 11:00. I thought the brisket was OK not great(and since I have no pictures it never happened). My guests all thought it was wonderful.

I'm not sure what possessed me to load 6 pieces of the new charcoal because there is still a lot left for my next cook. The charcoal gives off a sweet smelling smoke and will burn forever!!!!

This is the best charcoal around bar none !!! So all I can say to everyone out there thinking about buying some is Don't expect me to leave you any...

Tony

P.S. I'll do better with the pictures next time. Really I will.... I happen to have two 20 pound pork shoulders from snake river farms to practice my low and slow with camera in hand..

Re: Brisket using the new coconut charcoal from Dennis

We talked at some length before about humane pork. I thought I would try the Snake River Farms product. $60.00 for the 14 pound shoulder and $69.00 shipping. I think I will stick with having the local high schoolers raising me a pig or two a year!

Re: Brisket using the new coconut charcoal from Dennis

I agree that the shipping adds to the price but I should point out that I am yet to find a full bone in pork shoulder or Berkshire pork anywhere else.

Also its interesting to note that one of my 14 pound shoulders weighed in at just over 20 pounds and the second one came in at over 21 pounds. both at $60 each..

Tony