Loquitur

Smoked Precooked Ham

Below is a pic of a small 6 lb precooked bone in smoked ham I did on the KK yesterday - my inaugural cook of 2012. Stoker 240 indirect for about 3 hours to 135 over 1/2 basket of lump and two chunks of cherry. I put the first coat of glaze on before loading the ham on the KK and then did a 2nd coat when the ham was 90 deg and a 3rd coat when it was 115 deg. I got a nice shiny finish without having to raise the heat near the end of the cook to set the glaze. It was moist and delicious and wonderful!! And I have lots of plans for the leftovers!! fetch?id=68414

Re: Smoked Precooked Ham

The glaze is 1 1/2 c brown sugar, 3/4 c honey, 1/2 c mustard and a shot or so of rum. Mix it together and slather it on, no cooking necessary. It made more than I needed, probably enough for a 10 lb ham. I hesitated before choosing the recipe because it seemed like it would be sooo sweet but it didn't seem unusual for a ham glaze recipe when I looked at others. I'm happy I tried it because it is BY FAR the best glaze I ever made in terms of ease of preparation, appearance of the finished meat and flavor. Those juices in the bottom of my pan - drippings from the sugary and tangy glaze mixed with the salty juices from the ham - are to die for.

Doc - its a shallow stainless pan only about 10" in diameter and it has a removable rack. I love it for the KK for small roasts. Now that you mention it, I think it would work fine for a small paella.

Susan

Technical Question re Posting Pictures

I'm barely computer literate and am hoping one of the techs here can answer a question about pictures. I took the picture of the ham above with my husband's cell phone, emailed it to myself, saved it to "my pictures" and uploaded it to the post with the KK utility. I didn't have to change the size to post it and right after I uploaded it, the picture would get larger if I clicked on it. But now, the picture doesn't expand any longer if I click on it. So why is it that sometimes I have to make the picture smaller to upload it but not always and sometimes the picture will expand to a larger size when I click on it after uploading it here but not always?

Susan