bri134

Whole Flatiron Steak

So, I've recently had my first Restaurant Depot visit and needless to say it was a religious experience. :lol:

I found whole flatiron steaks, well I guess they're more like flatiron roasts. The one I bought was 7 lbs. Love flatirons, the fam loves them, one of my top 3 fav cuts from a cow.

My question is does anyone know of an easy-ish way to get around the vein of gristle/silverskin that runs the length of the roast without cutting it into individual steaks? I like cooking them whole. I was thinking of maybe cutting around it while raw?

Anyone have any experience/advice on this awesome cut of meat?

Re: Whole Flatiron Steak

Thanks FM! When I watch him there is a lot of flipping and wasteful movement(economy of motion). But that's just professional criticism. What a great cut of meat! We have 3 meat markets in Wilmette and three grocery stores, I think we are the only ones who sell them!

Re: Whole Flatiron Steak

When I worked at Hy-Vee Food stores in Iowa we used to call the flat iron a "Beauty Steak" We simply trimmed the silver skin from both sides and sliced them in 1.25" steaks. I never had the opportunity to grill them way back then, but I think the gristle in the center would be an obstacle.